starting strength gym

Thread: Thanks for your time and efforts

Default Thanks for your time and efforts

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Mark,

I don't have any questions to bother you with right now, but I'm glad I can finally register for your forum. I just wanted to thank you for your contributions to my training education. (I've read SS, PP and Strong Enough?)

I've always understood the importance of the compound lifts but usually ended up hurting myself once the weights got relatively heavy with poor form. I have over 2 months in on your SS program and your programming and lifting instruction have helped me improve form while constantly adding weight.

At 6'2, and 32 years, I've gone from about 250 lbs 28% BF to 275 lbs 30% BF. Squats from 135lbs to 255 for 3 sets of 5, Bench from 135lbs to 200 lbs for 3 sets of 5 and Deads from 135lbs to 285 lbs for 1
    set of 5.

I plan to strip off some of this fat now, but wanted to have somewhat of a strength base before attempting to. I've found the hardest part starting as a fatty is trying to walk the fine line of calorie balance, eating enough to recover while not getting too much fatter. I'm going to follow Lyle McDonald's rapid fat loss plan while attempting to maintain my lifts, then continue with linear progress once I've deflabbed somewhat.

I'll let you know how I make out in the coming months and hopefully I'll be able to contribute something useful to your forum along the way.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by brobinson View Post
    Hi Mark,
    I'm going to follow Lyle McDonald's rapid fat loss plan while attempting to maintain my lifts, then continue with linear progress once I've deflabbed somewhat.
    I looked at this diet briefly and it seemed more a crash thing good for a few pounds. Is it maintainable in the long term? I ask because I just came off of two weeks doing 200g protein/day at a calorie deficit and it wreaked havoc on my lifting. This is why I am switching back to Zone and am going to try gradually reducing the calories to see what happens.

Curious to see if this works for you and more details on how you did it.

Rapid fat loss is a PSMF. It is brutal. I can't imagine effectively training while on the diet, and if anything it would be very low volume full body maybe twice a week.

I made it a couple of days, but I'm weak minded and don't mind being fat.

It certainly is a brutal diet. I'm on my first week and it has made it harder during the workouts. I find squats go fine, but I run out of steam faster than usual further into the workout.

It would be silly for me to think I could continue linear progression, however many have run the diet and maintained most of their strength while cutting body fat quickly.

I've dropped from 3500-4000 calories to about 1300, so it comes as no surprise there's an adjustment period at first. I'd rather diet like this and get it over with so I can get back on track with training quicker. It's not for everyone though.

Strengthstarter, many have been able to keep with it as long as they needed to get to their goals. If it works for me and training doesn't suffer too bad I'll keep at it for awhile. I love to eat and I've had no problem sticking to it so far, much easier than slight caloric reduction for me. It would be impossible to use as an athlete, there's no fuel for endurance, but that's not an issue for me.

In only 5 days the waist of my pants is already noticeably looser. I'll see how things go in the coming week.