starting strength gym

Thread: Hook Grip

Default Hook Grip

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been using the hook grip and its been going ok, except that many times the meaty part of my thumb gets pinched due to being pressed up against the bar at an angle with my thumb. I've tried a bunch of things to correct this but I can't seem to get it, and it starts to interfere with my lifting at about set 4 of 5.

The best way I've figured out how to make the grip is to rotate my wrists outward, put my thumb on the bar, then wrap my fingers around. I can still switch to normal grip and get away with it, but I want to try to get this right before the weight gets too high. Right now I am power cleaning 165.

my thumbs always hurt after a 5 sets of 3 powercleans. That's sort of just the way it goes. Since you noted it happens later in the sets, it's probably fatigue driven. Best advice is just to make sure you use chalk.

you'll get the hang of it

yeah i did my powercleans friday night with hook grips and my thumbs are still a bit sore. unless the pain prevents you from cleaning, i suspect it may be something you have to get used to.

I like to put on a very thin layer of athletic tape for the hook grip.

Your grip will adapt. Obviously keep an eye on it to make sure you are not beating the hell out of your thumbs, but expect some discomfort and sometimes some bruising.

Hooking your lighter sets of deads can help get you used to it.

Hi,

I think you just need to persevere and give yourself time to adapt.
    I've been using the hook grip on all the pulling lifts, since I began SS; it took a while, but now I don't get pain anymore, apart from the odd occasion on heavy (for me) DLs.

IPB

starting strength coach development program
    I agree. I think everyone just has to work through the uncomfortable part. I do think there are a few factors to consider...bar size, hand size, and reps (practice). I have an olympic bar and large hands and never noticed bruising or pain and now I grab the bar in a hook grip without thinking about it. If you have a thicker bar and small hands, I would think it's going to take longer to adapt. I just added PC to SS in August of this year. And I "grooved" the grip by taking a few off days and also extra reps after workouts and did "a bunch" of light (90-110lb) singles. I would say that after about 250 light reps over the course of a three or four weeks I felt really comfortable.