starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Utility Bench Recommendation??

Default Utility Bench Recommendation??

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I just purchased a commercial power rack, olympic bar, and nearly 400lbs of olympic plates. However, I am searching for a quality utility bench and am looking for recommendations.

I saw a Body Solid utility bench that has a 1000 lb capacity and is able to incline and decline for $220 on ebay (new, not used). Not sure about the reputation of this company, but I haven't heard anything bad about them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Body-Solid-Comme...item518e3f9765

Are there any recommendations? I've tried craig's list in the Pittsburgh area, and most of the items for sale are crap. How about any suggestions for something that will not set me back $300-$400?

Thanks.

Beast.

I've not ready anything bad about their commercial products. In fact at that price with a lifetime warranty I doubt you'll find a much better deal. And yeah, Pittsburgh craigslist is bad. I've been trying to find a power rack on there for almost 2 months now. Most of them are either junk or overpriced used items.

Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster103 View Post
    I just purchased a commercial power rack, olympic bar, and nearly 400lbs of olympic plates. However, I am searching for a quality utility bench and am looking for recommendations.

I saw a Body Solid utility bench that has a 1000 lb capacity and is able to incline and decline for $220 on ebay (new, not used). Not sure about the reputation of this company, but I haven't heard anything bad about them.

Body Solid Commercial Flat Incline Weight Bench GFI21 | eBay

Are there any recommendations? I've tried craig's list in the Pittsburgh area, and most of the items for sale are crap. How about any suggestions for something that will not set me back $300-$400?

Thanks.

Beast.
    I once wanted to spend <$300 on a flat/incline bench and failed. Ended up with a Legend 3103, at just over $600 delivered. I came to the conclusion that nothing below about $300 was worth owning, while in the $300-400 price range, there are terrible options and okay options, and that this was an instance in which a true commercial grade piece of equipment was worth some extra outlay of little green pieces of paper. Just foods for thought.

That listing is dead now. But what Gilchrest said is fact. Used commercial is hands down the best option, and my first recommendation is to search in a wider driving radius (magic deals rarely pop up 10 minutes down the road, and I've made a 6 hr round trip for the right set of deals... Made a lot of money that day...).

Outside that, my second recommendation would be to increase your budget, and get a true commercial bench.

Failing those options, my third recommendation would be to just get a good flat bench. Seriously, low-end and even mid-grade adjustable benches are pretty meh.

The Rogue bench is good and comes out to around $200.

Wait. Is this thread really 6+ years old?

Something is amiss in forum land

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Stangl View Post
    The Rogue bench is good and comes out to around $200.
    I think he specifically wants an adjustable, so the Rogue is probably >$600 with shipping. For flat benches, the Rogue is real nahce. FID's are dumb, in my considered opinion, but there are many good flat/incline models, like the one I have. Now if I could only bench heavy enough weight to justify so over-engineered a piece of equipment...

lol, Skillin necro'd this shit pretty tough

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Wait. Is this thread really 6+ years old?

Something is amiss in forum land
    Wow, it appears to be. I don't know how I managed to find my way here. Must have fat thumbed the forums list somehow. Oops.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Narvaez View Post
    lol, Skillin necro'd this shit pretty tough
    I really shouldn't be allowed to have a smartphone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast