starting strength gym

Thread: Finding a Strength Coach

Default Finding a Strength Coach

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey there! Total Novice here in the Salem, Oregon area. (Unless you count a few months back in 2000 on some exercise machines haha)

Like most on this forum, I've read SS several times, it's excellent.
    That said, ultimately I'm a kinesthetic learner and really want to find a strength coach to train with. So far this has proven difficult.

I know that the SS certified coach directory is supposed to be coming up on here in 2010 but frankly I'd really love it if I could find somebody before then. No time like the present.

I'm also curious what sort of calories I should be shooting for when I start training. I know I should get like 1-2g protein/lbm, but I see people on here eating 4,000, 5,000+, and I know about GOMAD, but is 4,000kcal for me right?

In case you're wondering about my very sad stats they are:
    male
    height:5'8"
    weight:160 lbs
    bf %: %20 (128 lean 32 fat-- home body fat test w/measuring tape)

Any help, ideas, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Regarding a coach/trainer:

Try the USA Weightlifting site and look for a local club (under resources). There should be a contact name. I found a great coach through this process. The link below should take you where you need to go.
    http://weightlifting.teamusa.org/pages/1808 (WFS)

Another option would be to visit a local college. If it has a decent athletic program they probably have a strength coach who might help you or else might be able to give you a few names.

Hope this helps.

Awesome, thank you so much, good idea :-)

I am guessing perhaps that the lack of responses to my question about how many calories I should be consuming to pack on the muscle is because it has perhaps already been discussed ad nauseam?

My chief reason for being unsure is that I am starting off with a higher percentage of bodyfat than most skinny guys....?

Quote Originally Posted by newfarris View Post
    I am guessing perhaps that the lack of responses to my question about how many calories I should be consuming to pack on the muscle is because it has perhaps already been discussed ad nauseam?

My chief reason for being unsure is that I am starting off with a higher percentage of bodyfat than most skinny guys....?
    Search the Q&A forum. That one has been talked about as well.

Eat enough protein and fat to recover and eat veggies. Writing down what you eat and how you feel will give you an idea how much you need to eat to keep making good progress. Everyone is different and has different insulin sensitivity, therefore your best diet will be unique to you and requires some experimentation to really get into the groove.

It has. Nonetheless, I'm sure the topic will not go away.

First, your bodyfat % is not out of line; it is not unhealthy. Two, lifting heavy weights to get stronger requires more calories. You can't eat less, and lift more. If you find a GOMAD to be unpalatable, don't do it. But you have to eat enough to feed your muscles. I have no idea what the number of calories are. I've always found that when I'm training with weights, my body natually tells me to eat more. One thing Rip and others have consistently said is that if you're stuck (in lifting progressively heavier weights), a common cause is insufficient food. It seems to me that until you do some consistent training (i.e. not miss workouts), and then get stuck, that calorie counting is somewhat premature.

starting strength coach development program
    I agree with matclone. Your body will tell you loads more than anyone here can. What I am doing now is just eating more and more to ensure that I am gaining weight each week regardless of the intensity of my workouts and overall lifestyle. Whether it's 3K, 4K, 5K calories doesn't matter. Everyone is at different ages, different metabolisms, etc. so knowing what one person is doing isn't going to help.
    If you are constantly gaining, then you are eating enough.