starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workload volume versus intensity

Default Workload volume versus intensity

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Curious how people view the trade off between volume and intensity especially when it comes to sets across. Do you just find this by trial and error?

I ask because it seems like my recovery is pretty poor (took at least a week to recover from squats 325 x 5 x 3 sets when doing the advanced novice program) and I feel like I can get a decent workout and make progress from a lower intensity if the volume and / or frequency is high enough. This seems especially true on the squat.

I've been doing Texas Method for a few weeks and took a pretty big reset...all the way down to 245 x 5 x 5 in the squat (going up 10lbs per week for now) and this week was 275 x 5 x 5 and felt pretty decent. Only 2-3 minutes between sets and wasn't too wiped out, but based on my past experience, I think once I get to over 300 pounds, 5 sets of 5 is going to destroy me!

I guess my question is do you just keep pushing the 5x5 weights and then when you get wiped out, reset and try to work up higher next time? I know you can also drop sets down to 3 again or drop reps on this day. Do you ever reach a point where you just stick with the same weight for a while on volume day if you can still make progress on Fridays?

Right now, I'm looking at keeping at 5x5 until it impacts my recovery for Friday's and then dropping to 3 rep sets with the same weight, but really think I could probably do a fixed weight for a while and still make progress Friday.

Does any of this make sense?!

Thanks.

2-3 minutes between sets? That's waaay too short. I take 10 mins between sets of squats, and I'm doing the Texas Method.

2-3 minutes is barely time to catch your breath if it's a heavy enough weight. You could probably be doing 10lbs more than what you're squatting for sets if you would rest longer.

If your goal is increased strength then as stronger says you should be looking at more rest. I would say 5mins minimum if you can get by with less the weight is probably not going to tax you enough to force a strength adaptation.

Quote Originally Posted by zepled37 View Post
    Curious how people view the trade off between volume and intensity especially when it comes to sets across. Do you just find this by trial and error?
    Zepled,

Some individuals respond better to high volume/moderate intensity and tother to low volume/high intensity. It a bit like dating. It take you a few date to figure out if it's doing to work.

So yes, there is a bit of trial and error involved. Even Einstein found noted that, "Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing". You make educated guesses and then experiment.

I guess my question is do you just keep pushing the 5x5 weights and then when you get wiped out, reset and try to work up higher next time?
    I'd recommend doing that.

I've been doing Texas Method for a few weeks and took a pretty big reset...all the way down to 245 x 5 x 5 in the squat (going up 10lbs per week for now) and this week was 275 x 5 x 5 and felt pretty decent. Only 2-3 minutes between sets and wasn't too wiped out, but based on my past experience, I think once I get to over 300 pounds, 5 sets of 5 is going to destroy me!
    Taking longer recovery between sets (as Stonger posted) will enable you to push/pull more weight.

For strength training, you want recovery time of 3 mintues or longer between sets.

However, you don't need to take 10 minutes between every set (as Stronger seem to indicate in his post).

Kenny Croxdale

Thanks, guys. Yes, maybe I wasn't clear. I do normally take more rest and plan to as the weight goes up. I was taking 5 to 7 minutes before, but honestly don't see myself taking 10 minutes.

As I said, I took a pretty big reset so the weight is a little light still and allows me to take shorter rest periods so far, but I do think this weight is still helping me to adapt. Even at the lighter weight(275x5x5), this is still 2000 pounds more total workload compared to my best 5x3 weight (325).

OK, so I'm thinking I'll first drop to 3 rep sets then when that peters out, I'll reset and start over with 5x5.

In general, would you make more adjustments to volume day programming first versus changing the intensity day? This question assumes stalling on Mondays or Mondays and Fridays both.

I have PPST2 coming in so maybe that will help. (Been through SS and PPST1 books already).

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Croxdale View Post
    However, you don't need to take 10 minutes between every set (as Stronger seem to indicate in his post).
    You need to take as much time as is required to recover from the previous set. As Mark Rippetoe has indicated numerous times, when the weight gets heavy most trainees will need up to 10 minutes of rest between sets.

I rest for 10 mins on Squats, 6-7 on Press, Bench and Powercleans. Do what it takes to move the weight you have planned. That's the important part. Individual rest times may vary, naturally.

I'd rather overshoot the time I actually need to rest than undershoot it. Overshooting a tad means a few minutes of wasted time. Undershooting means a wasted week, or maybe more.
    Last edited by stronger; 11-19-2009 at 03:40 PM.

I guess my question is do you just keep pushing the 5x5 weights and then when you get wiped out, reset and try to work up higher next time?
    Yes, that's the basic idea of periodization. Once past the novice stage, you progress in cycles.

I know you can also drop sets down to 3 again or drop reps on this day. Do you ever reach a point where you just stick with the same weight for a while on volume day if you can still make progress on Fridays?
    I've never tried it, but it seems that doing the same volume sets on Mondays is not going to create the adaptation needed to increase the max's on Friday--at least not for long--which is the idea behind the Texas method.

On Rest:

I've always rested as long as needed, but not longer. I suspect we're all a little different in this respect. I'm sure I've never rested as long as 10 minutes between sets. If you've ever thought of being a competitive weightlifter, or think you might think about it, know that in a competition you might be called upon to follow yourself, which means you have only 3 minutes to make your next lift.

If none of these suggestions work you could look at bill starr's intermediate program which is is a two phase program with ascending set rather than sets across. Not surprisingly very similar to the texas method but with a potentially lower workload.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertFontaine View Post
    If none of these suggestions work you could look at bill starr's intermediate program which is is a two phase program with ascending set rather than sets across. Not surprisingly very similar to the texas method but with a potentially lower workload.

Thanks, Robert. This is something that I've thought about also. Seems like the Bill Starr model might be easier to recover from assuming I used the ramped sets instead of sets across.

Texas Method seems a little more natural for overall strength training though while the Starr models seem maybe more flexible for other sports and physique training. I'm going to try to Texas Method for a bit and see what I can learn about myself and training.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast