starting strength gym

Thread: Does this make sense?

Default Does this make sense?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    There is a piece of weight training advice for cyclists that I have heard a few times, and it is as follows: after a squat workout you should hop on a stationary bike and ride for 10 min or so. This is supposed to train the motor pathways used in biking to apply the strength gained from squatting.

Now, I'm of course highly skeptical of this. From what I know of kinesiology, this is not how things work. However, I have heard the same thing from someone on my rowing team (except you hop on the rowing machine after a full training session instead of a bike after just a squat session). Does this advice have any merit? Or is it just a bunch of garbage?

Yeah, that sounds bogus. I don't know how you can train motor pathways to apply strength "gained" from squats done minutes earlier. The dude on your rowing team is probably just doing some extra cardio.

Sounds like hoodoo, but if you think it might have merit come up with a test plan and see if it works.

I've seen much worse broscience.

Advice repeated persistently enough becomes tradition, and tradition is very hard to break. They are probably just benefiting from the extra practice cycling/rowing rather than training their body to use the strength they just "gained" during a workout.

I agree with all that's been said. It does not make sense.

starting strength coach development program
    Technically you would have just lost strength immediately after a set of squats so the logic they are using is nonsense.