starting strength gym

Thread: postural hypotension?

Default postural hypotension?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    On Wed., when I was doing my heavy deadlifts (335, 345), I felt light-headed for about 10 seconds after lowering the weight. I felt it again today when I snatched for 120 and 125. In each of these cases, my form was good, the lifts were successful, and I was exploding off the floor with all the force I could produce. These experiences have not been accompanied by any headaches or pressure and they go away quickly.

In fact, it feels very much like what happens when you stand up quickly after a long period of sitting or lying down - and I expect the cause is very much related to postural hypotension. I think the most likely cause for this would be dehydration (it usually occurs at the end of the workout), rather than some of the more serious causes of hypotension. But, even so, passing out at the top of a snatch would be serious problem.

Anyone else ever experience anything like this?
    Last edited by Platus; 11-22-2009 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Platus View Post

Anyone else ever experience anything like this?
    Yes, on the first rep of every heavy set of deadlifts I've ever done. After the 1st rep, it doesn't happen anymore. Also, on one-rep max attempts of the deadlift, I often have to take a knee after setting the weight down.

Don't know what this means, but it's never killed me, so I just keep going. Who knows, maybe I'm knocking on death's door and don't even know it.

-Stacey

I get the light-headed feeling after squats, and occasionally my hearing becomes slightly impaired. It's squat-shock. I was lifting during peak hours the other day at the school gym and got it pretty bad. It reminded me of the beginning of Saving Private Ryan, when Tom Hanks is shell-shocked and the sound gets really lowand muffled. I was dazed from the squats. The gym was loud as all hell but I could barely hear. All sorts of unspeakable atrocities were taking place around me (guy doing power cleans while wearing Crocs). Brutal.

But yeah, I don't think it's anything to shit your pants over. I think it's almost a given that you'll feel pretty ravaged after a maximum effort squat or deadlift.

Quote Originally Posted by GianMilano View Post
    I was dazed from the squats. The gym was loud as all hell but I could barely hear. All sorts of unspeakable atrocities were taking place around me (guy doing power cleans while wearing Crocs). Brutal.
    I lol'd at this. Dude in crocs all shouting "medic!" when his feet slip under a load due to squishy footing. General Rip over the radio all "leave him and get back under the damn bar."

Thanks everyone. That pretty much affirms my suspicions that these sorts of events just come with the territory. I have had the momentary hearing loss in the past, as well as a lingering feeling of sinus pressure after a heavy session of set across. I can accept these as minor annoyances and/or proof of a hard workout. But I am still a bit concerned about what would happen if I passed out under a heavy snatch.

In addition to being careful about hydration, I think I may need to adjust my methods of psyching up for a max lift: I often take a few deep breaths before the pull, so maybe I am actually hyper-ventilating a bit.

Holding your breath + maximal muscular exertion ==> rapid increase in blood pressure w/no new oxygen coming in during the rise in BP. Then, at/near the end of the lift you exhale, which extends the time you're without fresh O2. Blood pressure drops, oxygen comes in and while I can't explain any of this more technically, this is the explanation I've come up with as to why I always feel the same sensation you've described when I deadlift.

On another note, I've seen 2 people pass out while deadlifting at 2 different meets. One guy almost finished the lift, but didn't hit the floor. He kind of staggered off the platform. The other fell out in mid-lift, flat on his back like a ghost hit him with an uppercut. He just layed there for about 10 seconds or so, either to collect himself or due to embarrassment. Don't know these are extremes of what we're talking about or if they had other issues going on.

starting strength coach development program
    One guy almost finished the lift, but didn't hit the floor. He kind of staggered off the platform. The other fell out in mid-lift, flat on his back like a ghost hit him with an uppercut. He just layed there for about 10 seconds or so, either to collect himself or due to embarrassment.
    It looks like I'll be in town for the next MD powerlifting meet, and I have convinced my girlfriend to come. She was afraid that it might be sort of boring, but I'll let her know that successful lifts are only part of the fun.