starting strength gym

Thread: Don't Hesitate. Sign up for a SSS now!

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I attended a CrossFit Barbell Cert this weekend. It was absolutely, positively, without a shadow of a doubt worth every penny that I paid for it. Ripp and his gang are excellent coaches and really personable. My only regret is that I attended a two-day BB cert rather than one of the up-coming three-day SSS. I can't say it any more emphatically:sign up for a SSS...NOW.

I feel I should explain WHY the BB cert (soon to be SSS) is such a good investment.

Sure, your going to learn that the proximal end of the hamstring attaches to the ischial tuberosity and the optimal way to rotate an object around a fixed point is to apply a force at 90 degrees to the moment arm. The anatomy and physics lesson is certainly illuminating.

But, what makes the cert such a great investment is the following: at some point during the cert your going to step into the squat rack with a bar and your back, and Rip is going to watch you squat. Your going to do a rep, and Rip is going to tell you what you messed up and how to fix it. Then, you'll do another rep, and he'll give a another cue. By the time you do the 5th rep, you'll be squatting correctly. Rip does this with everybody at the cert. He repeats the process for the Deadlift and the Clean. You'll also get a lot of one-on-one instruction from some "Rip-certified" trainers.

Now, I'm not so naive as to think I'm squatting and deadlifting like pro after one weekend. But, I can now recognize when I perform a rep poorly and I have a pretty good idea how to fix it when I do.

Also, Rip has an uncanny ability to make fun of you in such a way that you'll laugh and learn all at once.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 11-24-2009 at 12:50 AM.

I'm coming from Australia to do one. Good to know that it'll be worth it haha.

i really want to do SSS in 2010. hopefully, i will still have my job to pay for it. i am already saving up for it.

Default yeeep

I'm saving money now and hope to get into the next one that stops by NY. Jersey is close but I'd have to pay for room and board =-\. Mainly for my own edification, but I'd love to be able to more effectively help my friends train, as they refuse to read through any of the books I recommend them.

Man I live in the UK, I went to minnesota last month just to see Vikings vs Chicago, I might have a holiday for a couple of weeks next year and sort myself out with an SSS