starting strength gym
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My journey to JACKED, and TAN

Default My journey to JACKED, and TAN

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Started training, using SS, in October '08. Stopped SS in January of this year. Moved onto an upper/lower type routine, before experimenting with a very basic Westside template in the summer. Became ill in August and am only starting to lift again. Blah blah blah.

Best lifts are a 167.5kg squat (belt), 160kg x 20 rack deadlift (belt) from 1" below knees, and a pretty crappy 80kg x 2 bench. Bench training is something I've never been good at, as you an see, and I'm abandoning it in favour of overhead work since I have no plans currently to be a competitive powerlifter. I'm 6'3.5" and used to weight just over 200lbs after a few months of lifting, up from 165lbs. This was when I was drinking my fucking milk and eating my carbs. I experimented with lower carbs and no milk, lost weight, but strength seemed not to be effected too much. Certainly not squat and deadlift strength. I set my PBs at 190-195lbs ... with abs showing. Mmm, sexy.

My training will be structured like this;

Day 1: Squat + leg assistance + abs

Day 2: Overhead + triceps and chest assistance

Day 3 Deadlift + back assistance + abs.

Sometimes, due to my schedule, I'll have to do the overhead work the day after squat day. I simply can't devote three non consecutive workout days to training so I'm not going to bother with anything that specifically says I can't do consecutive days.

My gym has plenty of equipment. Lots of strongman stuff and strongman competitors also. A few bodybuilders and powerlifters as well. So unlike most places, I can't be too selfish with the squat rack either.

I run this at a few other sites as well.

Weights in kilos.

spelling error in your title. i think it's ' my journey to JAKT and tan'.

you keeping a Tanning log too? welcome by the way.

yeah just want to say, excellent title. And I bet the overhead work will be mad effective, good luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by misspelledgeoff View Post
    spelling error in your title. i think it's ' my journey to JAKT and tan'.

you keeping a Tanning log too? welcome by the way.
    Yes, it's at the My New Haircut forums.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    yeah just want to say, excellent title. And I bet the overhead work will be mad effective, good luck with it.
    Hopefully it will be. My gym's got a Viking press, and some logs of varying weights as well. The idea behind the overhead work is that a) I'm sick of benching; b) I don't see the Anglocentric fixation on bench pressing; c) Overhead pressing is more functional, and to be quite honest more people understand the weights used if you can convert them into every day life examples, i.e. them for reps.

Thanks guys!

Deadlift + Back Assistance:

Deadlifts:

120 x 1
    120 x 5

Worked up to a single at 120kg double overhand, then thought this would be a good weight to do a set of five with. Wasn't too hard ... but it seems I've totally forgotten everything I've previously known about deadlifting. I was looking down a bit, lower back probably rounded a bit, and I know for a fact my shoulders were way in front of the bar. I'll probably use this weight again next week and get my form back. Shouldn't be too hard, just need to stop being a pussy.

Dorian rows:

60 x 4
    60 x 4
    60 x 4

Unloaded the barbell and left a plate each side. To be honest I'm thinking about ditching the barbell rows for Kroc rows.

Pull downs:

30 x 10
    30 x 10

Not too difficult.

Pull throughs:

1 x 20 at level 4

Hammer curls, using 10kg dumbbell:

1 x 10 (each arm)

Not cheated at all. Will use much more next time.

Reverse curls:

Same dumbbell for 8 reps. Reverse a little harder.

I've forgotten how to train hard, sadly. Deadlifts, just didn't feel it in me. I still can't eat as much food as I'd like or drink as much milk as I'd like due to stomach issues either. It's slowly getting better but not as good as it used to be.

Oh, and good news! There's a tanning salon a few hundred metres up the street from my gym!

OK I just had surgery today, so I'll be off for another week.

wait...wat?

Quote Originally Posted by Smack View Post
    OK I just had surgery today, so I'll be off for another week.

A simple facial cyst removal. Doctor said not to do anything that might put pressure on the stitching or anything, or else it might make the scar worse or something. It's only a week, plus it gives me more time to do uni work and consume alcohol.

mmmm, alcohol...

*does best Homer Simpson impression*

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Smack View Post
    To be honest I'm thinking about ditching the barbell rows for Kroc rows.
    For whatever it's worth, I think picking up Kroc rows is a good idea.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast