starting strength gym
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: zep's intermediate log

Default zep's intermediate log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all,

Going to give this a try. Maybe it will be useful for some and perhaps some of the readers will have some good input for me as well. I figure it would be helpful to first provide some background information for comparison purposes.

Stats:
    33 years old, 5' 9", 200 pounds, about 16% body fat

Some recent lifting PR's:
    Squats: 325x5x3sets, 365x3
    Deadlifts: 365x5
    Bench Press: 215x5x3sets
    Press: 135x5, 155x3
    Power Clean: 185x2 (haven't pushed these too much as I haven't done them much in the past)

Other background:
    Have trained since a teenager, but wasted a lot of time on poor programs though I got to a reasonable level of strength, but did not have a good long term programming model to follow.
    Did a USAPL federation powerlifting competition in 2001 with some borrowed gear and squatted 470, benched 265 (have benched the same without a shirt, but my bench is kind of weak), and deadlifted 505 (sumo style).
    Had shoulder surgery for a torn labrum in 2001. I believe originally caused by playing football, but got worse with some heavy lifting. Have struggled some with shoulder pain ever since, but am cleared by doctors to do whatever I can.
    This year I dropped almost 30 pounds (down to 177.5 in July) trying to get back in some semblance of shape after not being very consistent in exercise or diet for a long time. Since then, I've gained about 20 pounds back, but still in much better shape (about half muscle, half fat gain).

Goals:
    Main objective is to gain strength, but I don't really want to gain much more fat so a combination of strength gain and a reasonable physique is my objective. To me a reasonable physique is one that fluctuates between 10-15% body fat so I'm at about the upper limit right now.

Strength goals for next year would be to squat and deadlift at least 405x5, bench press 245 x 5, press 175x5 and power clean 225x1. Would like to do all of the above a maximum body weight of 200 pounds. Will most likely also go on a fat loss diet for a while next year also and try to get leaner than I was last time.

Programming:
    Right now I'm following a Texas Method routine and plan to do so for a while yet. I need to make a decision about going back on a fat loss diet for a while now or later as I've been on the fence and not committed to it yet. I will outline my routine later. I have ordered PPST2 so maybe that will give me some more ideas than the first edition and cause me to modify my program.

Up until about 5 weeks ago, I was following the advanced novice program as I was regaining strength I had before, but found myself not being able to recover (especially from the squats) and was working in more light days anyway so decided I should make the switch to intermediate programming.

Hopefully, the log will be helpful for me and you! Thanks for reading!

Default Saturday intensity day

Took a pretty big deload when starting the Texas Method so the weights are still below PR levels for the most part. Despite this, the weights felt heavier than expected on Saturday. I think because of a little less sleep during the week.

Squat:
    Barx10x2
    95x8
    135x5x2
    185x3
    225x2
    265x1
    295x1
    335x3 (alternating 3 reps and 5 reps on squat and deadlifts)

Press:
    Barx8
    75x5
    95x3
    115x1
    135x5 PR (alternating press / bench press but sticking to 5 reps)

Deadlift:
    135x5
    185x3
    225x3
    275x1
    335x3

Volume day tomorrow...

Default Tuesday Volume Day

Weights still below PR levels because of my very big reset which I did because I had been pushing pretty hard for a few months and I was looking at dropping a bit of a fat for a few weeks, but I haven't followed through on that so in retrospect I think I deloaded too much (been on TM for 5 weeks) But, the next couple weeks will start to get tougher.

Squats:
    Barx10x2sets
    95x8
    135x5x2sets
    185x3
    225x2
    245x1
    285x5x5sets

Took a little more rest this week, but still only needed 3 to 4 minutes to complete the sets fairly easily. Started at 245 and have been making 10lb jumps so far (my best 5x3sets is 325) so next week goes to 295.

Bench Press:
    Barx10x2sets
    95x8
    115x5
    135x3x2sets
    165x2
    195x5x5sets

Took some more rest here also, again about 3 to 4 minutes. Started this progression at 175 (best 5x3sets is 215) and so far have been jumping 10lbs each volume bench session. As I get closer to my previous best, I'll drop to 5 lb increases.

Power Cleans:
    Barx5
    95x3x2sets
    135x2
    135x1
    155x1
    175x3x5sets

Felt pretty good, but my technique is really just average on these. Would like to make it better. I feel like most of the time I'm just doing one long pull instead of a first and second pull. Probably go to 185 next week and then slow down the progression.

Abs: 10x3sets side bends

Ate a ton the last 4 days and gained 5 to 10 pounds...got to cut it back just a bit. I'd like to at least stay under 200 even if I don't go for the diet just yet. I can see that my volume workouts are going to get VERY LONG in a couple more weeks when the weight gets heavier. Took 2 hours tonight including my 15-20 minute warm-up so when I start resting 7+ minutes between sets I see 2.5 to 3 hours for this workout...

Default Off day - massage

One hour massage.

Works out pretty good, not like some massages I've had where they feel like they hardly touch you. Now I need to catch up on some sleep the next 4 days and go into next week really rested.

Default Friday - Recovery Day

Was supposed to have recovery day yesterday, but didn't make it. Tomorrow is intensity day, but I'm hoping having the light day today doesn't mess things up too much. I lightened up on a couple of things to try to make sure I have no ill effects from tomorrow's workout. I've gotten lots of sleep the last 2 days also so hopefully that will help.

Front Squat
    Barx8x2sets
    95x5
    135x3
    165x3x3sets (have done 195x3x3 before)

Press
    Barx8
    75x5
    95x3
    115x5x2sets

Round back good mornings
    Barx10
    95x10x3sets

Pull-ups
    body weight x5x2sets (not to failure)

Tomorrow's intensity day should still be ok, but I think starting next week things will be getting a bit harder. Wish me luck!

Default Saturday 11-28-09 Intensity Day

Felt pretty rested today so that was good, but to be expected since I got a lot of sleep and my weight was up to about 204. I know it's not kosher, but I'd like to stay under 200 right now if I can so I have to just cut back slightly. But in all honesty, I've eaten a lot of junk in the last week. No PR weights, but things are getting a little heavier now.

Squats
    Barx10x2sets
    95x8
    135x5x2sets
    185x3
    225x2
    265x1
    295x1
    315x5

Bench Press
    Barx10x2sets
    95x8
    115x5
    135x3
    165x2
    195x1
    215x5

Deadlifts
    135x5
    185x3
    225x2
    225x1
    275x1
    335x5

Still felt like I had a lot of energy at the end of the workout though it is catching up to me tonight and I'm starting to get a bit sore and tired.

Videos if anyone cares to take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2UiSeF6LrQ

I'm no expert but all of those lifts looked solid to me. The Squats and DLs both looked light for you.

Default Sunday - some light cardio

Rode the stationary bike for an hour (gasp!) at pretty low intensity (maybe 60% HRmax) then did a couple of very, very light exercises to stretch out a bit because I was feeling pretty good and thought it might help.

This all took about 10 minutes:

Seated cable rows: 12x2sets
    DB bench: 30lbsx10x2sets
    Press: Barx10x2sets
    Power snatch: barx5x2sets
    Overhead squat: barx5x1set
    DB shrugs: 30lbsx12x2sets
    Cable curls 12x1set
    Tricep pushdowns: 12x1set

Funny, could tell I'm in the "reduced performance" zone even though I felt good because I ached a bit doing these and I really couldn't imagine doing anything heavy yet.

In my defense, I was reading PPST2 while riding the bike...

Default Monday - light cardio

Yep, more light cardio (gasp! again!)...stationary bike for 45 minutes and then one very very light set of each of the following:

seated cable rows
    dumbell bench press
    overhead press
    power snatch
    overhead squat

That took about another 5 minutes.

Weight was back down to 199.5 this morning and I feel a little better, lost some bloat (about 5 or 6 pounds) from all the carbs for 5 days...Joints and body aches are less than they've been in a while. Not quite sure why, probably from having the 4 day weekend and getting more rest.

Looking forward to volume day tomorrow, well sort of...going to be a long workout.

Default Tuesday Volume Day

starting strength coach development program
    So, the workout didn't take as long as I thought it would today, about the same as last week, 2 hours including warm up. I think I went through the warm ups a bit quicker.

Squat
    Barx10x20sets
    95x8
    135x5x2sets
    185x3
    225x2
    255x1
    295x5x5

I guess I should count this as a PR but seems a little silly since I've done 325x5x3sets, but this is a PR for 5x5. Took about 4 minutes rest except for the last 2 sets, took about 5-6 minutes.

Press
    Barx10
    75x5 (weird, this sort of felt heavy! I was worried)
    95x3
    115x5x5sets, went pretty easy

Power Clean
    Barx5
    95x3
    135x1x2sets
    155x1
    185x3x5sets

Looking for advice on the cleans. Think I could go up in weight, but don't have a lot of confidence in my technique and am a little worried I might tweak a shoulder or something trying to muscle it up. Thinking either drop the weight and do more sets or maybe stay at this weight and do singles (also with more sets).

Side bends 10x3sets

Feel like I'm adapting to the extra volume of the 5x5's a bit. The squats weren't overly easy, but I don't feel as tired as I was earlier in the program and when I finished up doing 5x3sets with 325. Maybe my recovery is improving a bit.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast