starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: aches and pains??

Default aches and pains??

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all,

Newbie here. I'm an older chick (45)-been lifting for years but started doing SS about 3 months ago-making great progress. Love this style of training. One thing-I am developing so many aches and pains especially in my knees. Is this common? Any suggestions? Am reading SS and Practical Programming. There are some days I just hurt all over. I guess it is just part of the aging process?

Sounds more like form issues to me. Try taking a video of your squats.

It could be improper depth, knees caving in on the way up, knees coming forward and weight shifting to the toes. Since you're a masters lifter, I'm curious to the amount of time you spent warming up. I want to suggest knee sleeves to keep warmth in your knees joints, but considering your knees are uninjured, I don't think they would be neccessary.

Also, a video would shine much light on what could be the problem.

There are so many factors to consider here that any suggestions we could make would just be wild speculation.

Videos of you lifting are the first order of business, along with some stats. Then, we'd have to look at whether you're sleeping enough/getting quality sleep, is your diet dialed in, and after all of that, maybe then consider whether age is an issue (meaning recovery takes longer for you and that a 2-day-a-week program might work better)? But again, without the answers to any of these questions, no one can really say.

Even given that you're doing everything exactly as you should be, some aches and pains will accompany rigorous training.

-Stacey

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.City View Post
    It could be improper depth, knees caving in on the way up, knees coming forward and weight shifting to the toes. Since you're a masters lifter, I'm curious to the amount of time you spent warming up. I want to suggest knee sleeves to keep warmth in your knees joints, but considering your knees are uninjured, I don't think they would be neccessary.

Also, a video would shine much light on what could be the problem.
    Knee sleeves ARE NOT just for the injured. I personally think everybody should be wearing them. All supportive gear started out as a way to prevent injury and excessive wear and tear, particularly the first bench shirts and even knee wraps. Knee sleeves, compression shorts and even an old, relatively loose bench shirt are great training aids which make up for any pounds added to the lift (less than 10) for the protective, supportive benefits they give.

A brand new pair of knee sleeves may give you 5 lbs on your squat. But their main function is keeping the ligaments warm and giving them a little compression. Ligaments generally don't have much of a blood supply which is a big part of the reason they don't heal too well; it's also why they don't get as warm and supple as would be ideal just from "warming up." Knee sleeves get them warm and a warm ligament is a happy ligament. The slight compression provides some proprioceptive feedback and also helps them perform better.

Neoprene compression shorts and any sort of bench shirt are not allowed in USAPL raw, but I currently train in my compression shorts along with the neoprene sleeves which ARE allowed. I'll be adding a light, loose old bench shirt at some point for high volume bench work.

Now that I've said all that, allow me to say that there could be a form issue at work. Video would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by murrie View Post
    Hi all,

Newbie here. I'm an older chick (45)-been lifting for years but started doing SS about 3 months ago-making great progress. Love this style of training. One thing-I am developing so many aches and pains especially in my knees. Is this common?
    Unfortunately aches and pains come with the territory. If you're new to lifting heavier weights (you don't say), or to squats, it's possible your body has not had time to fully adjust to the new stress you're applying to it (give it time), or you may simply be doing too much--something you'll have to figure out on your own. Rippetoe wrote a chapter or two regarding special considerations with older lifters and women in Strong Enough? and one of these may still be on one of his websites.

As mentioned, the knee pain may also be an issue of form or warmup. Also, are you wearing good shoes? Finally, I'll just mention one other thing from my experience in case it's useful to you. When I was doing Olympic training (in my late 30s) I used to do a lot of pulls, and at some point my traps were getting so sore that it was interfering with my workouts and my desire to lift. One day I took Ibuprofen (2 x 200)--something I'd never really used before--prior to working out, and to my surprise, it completely solved the problem.

all of the below and this too...I'm 39 and have been doing this since August. At this stage, not a day goes by where I don't hurt somewhere. Sometimes it's workout soreness, sometimes a mild injury, sometimes an annoying ache, oftentimes all of the above.

For the most part, I just train through it. Lots of Ibuprofen helps on the really bad days. Omega 3 fishoil supposedly has anti-inflammatory properties, so I take that on a daily basis too--don't know if i can tell a difference. Tiger-balm works wonders.

with all that said, the line between training through your aches and overtraining/injury can be a fine one. Especially for those of us not lucky enough to still be in our 20's. So listen to your body and take a day off if your body says you need it.

I think we need to hear from Ms. Murrie.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Gibson View Post
    Knee sleeves ARE NOT just for the injured. I personally think everybody should be wearing them.
    I agree. I just added some neoprene sleeves and the added warmth has been great. I wear sweat pants and I actually get sweat stains on my shins ...how's that for warm ligaments?! I bought them because I had some slight soreness from some form issues earlier in Sept/Oct...now the pain is gone but the sleeves are staying. Especially during winter time as I work out in the garage. After my workout, when I take them off I feel like I have brand new knees.

starting strength coach development program
    Talk to us about your recovery techniques, specifically things like stretching, icing, and myosfascial release (on foam rollers and lacrosse balls and such). If your squat technique is good, it is still possible to get sore knees. This is especially true if you have excessively tight hamstrings, quads, or calves. All these muscles are pulling on your knee. Look upstream and downstream at problematic muscle groups and be prepared to work on them from a recovery standpoint.

As matclone mentioned, connective tissues sometimes fail to keep up with the increased loading. Since you are in your 40s, you will not recover as quickly as you once could and you may need extra rest and more dilligent recovery.

Don't forget to warm up properly. I do a lot more warmup than Rip recommends (I'm 32). I quite literally do 10 to 15 minutes of specific warmup drills before I even get under the empty bar. I am usually sweating a bit before I do my first squat. Here's what my warm up sets looked like yesterday:

4 sets x 5 reps x 45 lbs
    2 x 5 x 95

1 set for the following reps and weights:
    4 x 135
    3 x 185
    2 x 225
    1 x 260

3 x 5 x 300 lbs for work sets

Squatting takes me a long time, but I found this is what I need to do to keep my knees and hips from bothering me. Look up Kelly Starrett's videos and writings on stretching and recovery. It's really important for those of us that are not 16.
    Last edited by Tom Campitelli; 11-24-2009 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Added extra details

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast