starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bodyweight, Bench and Competition

Default Bodyweight, Bench and Competition

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I just bench pressed 225x5 with ease tonight. This is far from huge, but it's a big milestone for me. I'd been struggling to get my bench to increase for many months. I kept flirting with 215x5, but could never push past that. You know what was different about tonight? I just finished up the high volume squatting on Smolov and I've already gained a couple of pounds.

Those couple pounds of bodyweight seem to have made a huge difference in my upper body strength. This should come as no great surprise; the bench press is the lift most correlated with mass. A big squatter or deadlifter need not have a humongous lower body, but a big bencher will usually LOOK like a big bencher.

I bring this up because I'm heading into a USAPL meet in a few weeks. I'd wanted to compete as a 165-lb lifter so I could break those raw records I set again (by a lot!). I'm currently much closer to the limit of the next weight class (181), however, and I wonder if it's worth slowing the momentum of my gains to cut weight and try for records that really don't mean much. (The competition is thin in the raw division.)

I need to move up a couple of weight classes to start to be really good. I feel that I'd be short-circuiting my efforts by cutting weight at this point just to set those records. I need to be 198 (or even 220!) at this height (almost 5'10"). I'd be immensely stronger at 198. And I honestly like the way I look as I get heavier. If I cut weight, my bench and squat will surely go down. I could probably gain the weight right back and get my strength moving again, but still...

I know ol' Rip would probably say just to keep eating and getting stronger before worrying about cutting weight. I think the only reason I'm tempted to cut again is because there's so much room to set state records in the raw 165. There have only been a handful of raw competitors in this class. The competition is even thinner in the 181...but there was this one mutant who set the bar really high in that class and I don't have a prayer of setting any records there for a while.

I'm at the point where going back down to 165 isn't just a matter of losing some water weight; I'd be cutting into muscle and fat. I'd be dismantling strength I worked very hard to achieve. And you all have seen my vids; another 10-30 lbs would make me a lot easier to look at. I'd be happier as a heavier human being, stronger and probably faster. I'd be more useful. But I wouldn't be setting any records in the sparsely tenanted Maryland USAPL raw 165. Worth it?

Thanks for reading.

I recall a post very much like this on SM.... I vote filling out. Who cares about the records? They'll probably be taken by some 5'3" guy as USAPL raw gets more popular, anyways. Plus, I bet your knee will be happier with more mass surrounding it.

Depends on your goals? Do you just want to set records? Have your name on a piece of paper or a plaque hanging on a wall?

Or would you rather get as big and as strong as you possibly damn can . It's not like i don't respect all those record holders (because dam they're strong and i'd like to be like them), but then again you can probably see which choice i'd rather take.

Just lift the most weight you're capable of lifting. Why would you do anything else?

i'm reticent to give someone advice so much f'ing stronger than me. but since it's really opinion and not advice I'll give it a go.

dude, you are so amazingly strong for your weight! aren't you insanely curious to see what your lifts will be as you pack on more muscle?

if I were in your enviable position, I would also fret over the decision. but in the end I am sure i'd just say 'fuggit' and keep gaining the weight.

Seems unanimous, no one really thinks much of your goal. Not surprising, since this forum is basically dedicated to getting bigger and stronger, not relative strength. But let's face it, we're not talking about setting records or getting your name on a plaque. What we're talking about, really, is you giving up on your goal. I don't really relate to your goal, Rip isn't particularly sympathetic, and most people here don't give a shit about your staying in this or that weight class. But it doesn't matter, because it's your goal, you set it for yourself, and you've got to live with not achieving it. You can always get big, but this is you're last chance to lift in the lower weight class. So, should you give up or go for it? Well, I would say go for it. Giving up sets a bad precedent.

Quote Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
    Who cares about the records? They'll probably be taken by some 5'3" guy as USAPL raw gets more popular, anyways. Plus, I bet your knee will be happier with more mass surrounding it.
    Yup.

I actually welcome that. I hope "raw" (really "sensibly limited gear") becomes the norm. Every time I think about getting into assistive (versus supportive-only) gear, I eventually talk myself out of it. It just starts to seem like an awful lot of expense and complication.

Quote Originally Posted by misspelledgeoff View Post
    dude, you are so amazingly strong for your weight! aren't you insanely curious to see what your lifts will be as you pack on more muscle?

if I were in your enviable position, I would also fret over the decision. but in the end I am sure i'd just say 'fuggit' and keep gaining the weight.
    That thought has crossed my mind. I'm nothing special for a 165-lber. But I am doing pretty well for a fairly tall-hence-skinny 165-lber.

I've already convinced myself to compete in the 82.5 kg class. Having to lose more than 5 lbs at this weight means that there is muscle and fat being cut...and those are things I need to be adding till I get over 200 lbs.

I think you should delay the weight-increase by a couple of weeks to compete in the lower weight division.
    Although we all do this program to increase strength fully knowing that we need to gain fat, we also need validation now and then to fuel our self-esteem (which is a big part of weight-training). And there is no better validation than competing and beating your peers.
    Strength training is a marathon, so staying skinny for a few weeks to compete won't kill you. I vote for competing (but I'm a competitive bastard anyway).

Heh. At this point I'm weighing over 175 and would have to lose some muscle as well as water in order to squeeze into the 165 class. If I were 170-172, I'd say that a water cut to 165 was possible without too much fat/muscle loss. Looks like I'll be competing in the 82.5 kilo class.

My initial plan was to compete at least one more time in the 75 kg. We'll see how it looks as I approach the meet. But it seems that my body has already made the decision.

starting strength coach development program
    I don't understand why you keeps saying you'll lose muscle mass if you cut. If done properly you won't lose any.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast