starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lift form questions

Default Lift form questions

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I seem to be constantly asking questions on how to fix my form on this, what should i be doing here, or how should i be gripping this, that i decided to start a new thread where hopefully I (and others) can ask specific questions on the execution of the lifts and receive answers/advice from the more experienced and knowledgeable individuals

To begin, after re-watching the SS DVD on the press section i got a few questions:

1) the bar should start the rep in contact with the anterior delts/upper chest right? I saw (i think his name was Jim) start with the bar slightly in front of him and it didn't seem like it was touching him at all although it may just be the angle of the camera. Could i get some clarification on this?

2) When utilising the stretch reflex on the press at the bottom of the rep, should it hit the original set up position or should it not connect with the body? It seems like if you hit yourself hard to get that 'stretch reflex' it's kinda like bouncing the bar off your chest with the bench. So should it be a controlled kind of touch/bounce or a strict touch or a no touch?

3) When breathing at the top of the rep to get that stretch reflex at the bottom, this causes me to lose the tightness in my core and i get all loose and wobbly. Is there a certain way to breathe or something to not have this? Or is this unavoidable and I should just try to take a smaller breath or what?

Once again thanks all for helping me out. I know i do ask so many dam questions that i should be paying you guys for your help

Can't speak for anyone else, but the bar does not touch my chest/delts at the bottom.
    For me the stretch reflex feels more like the upper part of the triceps bouncing off my lats.

I also have two additional question about the bench press.

1) If i have interpretated SS right then we should be aiming to get as big an arch as possible with the butt still on the bench right??

2) And does anyone have tips on how to maintain the arch during the lift. Not only do i find it hard with the weight of the bar pushin down, but it's even harder when you take a breath at the top of rep causing a loss of tightness. I guess it's a similar issue to the press.

And thanks brianb for your input

Quote Originally Posted by confuzzl3don3 View Post
    2) And does anyone have tips on how to maintain the arch during the lift. Not only do i find it hard with the weight of the bar pushin down, but it's even harder when you take a breath at the top of rep causing a loss of tightness. I guess it's a similar issue to the press.
    And the solution, at least for me, is the same: squeeze you ass hard, really hard. Contract your glutes as much as you can, and keep them tight until the end.
    It's not the only part of the body that should stay tight during those lifts, but if it's not I certainly notice the difference.

Hope this helps,

IPB

2) When utilising the stretch reflex on the press at the bottom of the rep, should it hit the original set up position or should it not connect with the body? It seems like if you hit yourself hard to get that 'stretch reflex' it's kinda like bouncing the bar off your chest with the bench. So should it be a controlled kind of touch/bounce or a strict touch or a no touch?
    You do not "hit" yourself with the bar to get the stretch reflex. The weight of the bar coming down - but coming down in a controlled fashion - is what stretches your abs out. How do you think you can both stay tight and controlled on the descent AND let the bar crash down on you. You can't. Staying tight means staying tight everywhere, even in the pressing muscles.

I don't think you understand what a "bounce" is. Judging from your post. There is a "bounce" in the bench press. There is a "bounce" in the squat. There is a "bounce" in the press. It does not come from things colliding with one another. It comes from certain muscles being stretched out while under tension and then snapping back to their original shapes. In this case, it's the abs that are stretching and returning to their original shape, and this is what causes the "bounce" or stretch reflex. Rip has said this in several places.

And yes, the bar should make light and brief contact with the original start position on the anterior delts.

Confuzzl,

Let's examine your stretch reflex quetion.

When utilising the stretch reflex on the press at the bottom of the rep, should it hit the original set up position or should it not connect with the body? It seems like if you hit yourself hard to get that 'stretch reflex' it's kinda like bouncing the bar off your chest with the bench. So should it be a controlled kind of touch/bounce or a strict touch or a no touch?
    First let's define what the stretch reflex is and how to elicit it.

"A stretch reflex is a plyometric action. Plyometric exercises are characterized by a powerful, explosive muscular contraction in response to an immediate, prior, rapid dynamic loading of the involved muscles.

Rapid loading of the muscles and the associated stretch on those muscles causes a "stretch reflex". This stretch reflex causes a proportional contraction of the stretched muscle thereby eliciting a more powerful movement had the muscle not been quickly loaded." Plyometric Bench Pressing For More Strength and Power, article.

Thus, in benching you want a slight bounce/recoil off the chest. It is similar to a Depth Jump. In a Depth Jump, you drop off a box, hit the ground and then explode back up. Eccentially, to elict a stretch reflex in the bench press you want to do the same thing.

When using a fairly heavy load, you want to lower the bar slowly until you are approximately 2-4 inches off you chest. At approximately, 2-4 inches off the chest, you allow the bar to accelerate/drop a little faster. This preload the stretch reflex setting up a plyometric/recoil action.

Allowing the bar to drop too quickly magnifies the weight on the bar beyond belief. If the load is magnified too much, the stretch reflex action is shut down. Thus, when you "ride the brakes" when lowering a heavy load most of the way, you minimize that problem.

When you allow the bar to accelerate its downward movement the last couple of inches, the stretch reflex automatically come into play.

So, let's rephrase you question into a statement. It should be a controlled kind of touch/bounce...recoil.

Kenny Croxdale

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Croxdale View Post

So, let's rephrase you question into a statement. It should be a controlled kind of touch/bounce...recoil.

Kenny Croxdale
    Wow, and with this most recent post, I'm now finally 100% convinced that you simply post in these threads without having read any of the posts that proceed yours:

I write, "It comes from certain muscles being stretched out while under tension and then snapping back to their original shapes. In this case, it's the abs that are stretching and returning to their original shape, and this is what causes the 'bounce' or stretch reflex."

And at the same time you've somehow managed to take up more space saying essentially what I said but in less:

You do not "hit" yourself with the bar to get the stretch reflex. The weight of the bar coming down - but coming down in a controlled fashion - is what stretches your abs out. How do you think you can both stay tight and controlled on the descent AND let the bar crash down on you. You can't. Staying tight means staying tight everywhere, even in the pressing muscles.

I don't think you understand what a "bounce" is. Judging from your post. There is a "bounce" in the bench press. There is a "bounce" in the squat. There is a "bounce" in the press. It does not come from things colliding with one another. It comes from certain muscles being stretched out while under tension and then snapping back to their original shapes. In this case, it's the abs that are stretching and returning to their original shape, and this is what causes the "bounce" or stretch reflex. Rip has said this in several places.

And yes, the bar should make light and brief contact with the original start position on the anterior delts."

Amazing.

All the information here has been gold. Thanks all. I think i'm starting to get the concept of utilising the stretch reflex. Hoping some1 can still answer/confirm my first question on the bench

Alright buddy, try this:
    1. sit down on the bench.
    2. Squeeze those shoulders back. *TIGHT*
    3. Lay Back.
    4. With your shoulders and head in the right position, scooch your behind up until you have made a massive arch.
    5. Plant your butt on the bench and push with your legs so there is pressure heading up your spine through the arch. Now stay there.
    6. Breath into your belly, not your chest.
    7. Flex those abs out with that breath and unrack the bar.
    8. Rep it.
    8. Continue to breath into your stomach between each rep.

starting strength coach development program
    Hey guys i've been having a few questions on my mind that i haven't been able to find the answer for and so i was wondering if you guys could help me out.

1) I know that the elbows should remain slightly in front of the bar in the press, but when i lower the weight from the top position, i find it easier if i focus on pulling me elbows to the side (kind of like for the bench). I'm not sure if my forearms are still vertical and the exact position of my elbows relative to the bar and stuff, because my memory card of my camera screwed up a while back and still haven't replaced it yet. But any particular reason why i feel this way? Does it involve the chest a bit more? And also is this allowed? or is it considered poor form? I know a vid will be needed for clarification and i'll try and get a new memory card and get it up

2) when doing power cleans, when i rack the bar it thumps quite painfully on my collar bone (clavicle). I am pretty sure i have the rack position right, but maybe because ii am bony even if the bar rests on my delts, it also touches my collar bone and so it gets whacked pretty hard. Just me? or am i doing something wrong?

3) also about the power cleans, i don't know if i'm using my arms too much or what, but sometimes after a set my forearms start shaking slightly and i feel a tingly feeling down my forearm and fingers.

I know a vid will help but bear with me i will try to get 1 up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast