Thread: "Core" Stability "Training"

Default "Core" Stability "Training"

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    The latest article by Mark Rippetoe.

Read it here.

Discuss...
    Last edited by stef; 11-26-2009 at 01:00 AM.

"Why don't you just squat?"

Squats cure cancer.

There is so much that getting your below-parallel squat over 400 lbs will cure.

Good article. I'm going to go find someone using a bosu ball tonight. Then eat them.

More useful than quadruped with alternate arm/leg raises...

... x 5 squats.

More challenging than the prone plank...

...any part of a heavy press.

More *everything, all the time* than even the supersetting of seated marching and multidirectional lunges...

...the clean & jerk.

Who knew??!!!1

I distinctly remember reading, in Gordon Pirie's "Running Fast and Injury Free," written decades ago (and probably part of the basis for the current pose/chi running and barefoot running crazes), the recommendation that one be able to press a bare minimum of their own bodyweight overhead before even thinking about running optimally.

this was a very good read. bravo.

Enjoyed this article very much. referring to a 500lb deadlift, 400lb squat, 300lb clean and 200lb press, Rip says "any decent 200 lb. male athlete should be able".

I assume this is in specific reference to an athlete in a competitive sense, and not the weekend warrior type, since these numbers indicate, based on data I've seen multiple years of training, and even then perhaps unattainable, since they all border on "elite" levels.

Look forward to more

second that. very good article. will it be published in a journal? seems to may a lot of people can benefit from this point of view.

will it be published in a journal?
    There are lots of problems with journals. Ever try to read primary literature when you're not hooked up through a major university, institution, or research company? The going price for individual purchase -- per article, not per journal issue --is about $30/each. It's like they don't really want you to read them. And really, for the vast majority, you really don't. Trust me.

Publishing here means more access for more people.

Link up.

s.
    Last edited by stef; 11-27-2009 at 03:20 PM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by stronger View Post
    Enjoyed this article very much. referring to a 500lb deadlift, 400lb squat, 300lb clean and 200lb press, Rip says "any decent 200 lb. male athlete should be able".

I assume this is in specific reference to an athlete in a competitive sense, and not the weekend warrior type, since these numbers indicate, based on data I've seen multiple years of training, and even then perhaps unattainable, since they all border on "elite" levels.

Look forward to more
    Weekend warriors don't tend to know how to squat at all, let alone squat heavy three times a week.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Gibson View Post

Good article. I'm going to go find someone using a bosu ball tonight. Then eat them.
    It's about time you start talking about eating!

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast