starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

Default Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey everyone, new member here. I've just recently started a 5x5 and have been researching it like crazy for the past few months. I am trying to get videos of all the lifts for form and hoping to get some feedback so I know where to go from here..thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjwf82eSI0k

welcome!

looks like you are starting without your shoulder blades over the bar. get yourself over the bar more so the blades are directly over top of the bar. it's not causing a problem now because the weight is too light for you.

have you done Starting Strength linear progression? Reading between the lines of your post, I'd guess you have not. Don't start with a 5x5. If you are indeed a novice, you will get much stronger much faster with linear progression.

oh and lose the gloves. replace with chalk!

To add to what misspelledgeof said, are those sneakers? Best losing those and picking up some weightlifting or firm. soled shoes so that you have a firmer surface to push off. It will make a noticeable difference.

I am doing the bill starr 5x5 intermediate. I thought that was a linear progression. Also, I am going to pick up some sambas tomorrow. Any other input on the form?

I thought bill stars 5x5 was weekly periodisation but yeah i dunno. Anyways it looks good to me either than what misspelled said to get your scapulas over the bar a bit more.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by waias15 View Post
    I am doing the bill starr 5x5 intermediate. I thought that was a linear progression. Also, I am going to pick up some sambas tomorrow. Any other input on the form?
    "Linear" refers to new maxes done per workout. 5x5 intermediate routine is one in which maxes are done on a weekly basis, as the intermediate body requires loads that are harder to recover from to disrupt the balance of homeostasis.

if you are a beginning lifter, or even if you've lifted for years on a bodybuilding split, I'd recommend doing the Starting Strength linear progression routine. Once you've finished that, you can choose which intermediate program you want. I have used the Starr/Madcow 5x5 with success, but am now doing the Texas Method as described in Practical Programming. I like it a lot more, and I haven't gotten stuck yet like I did after 6 or 7 weeks of PRs on the Starr/Madcow 5x5 routine.

So, depending on your level of advancement, doing the novice routine, even if you have lifted for a while, might be beneficial to you.