starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone switched from flat shoes to heels?

Default Anyone switched from flat shoes to heels?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    For as long as I can remember, I've always felt comfortable squatting in flat shoes. I see Rip recommends a small heel (Rogue shoes) and my Chuck's are about worn out and I'm in need of a new pair of lifting shoes.

Honestly, I'm a little worried about switching to something with a heel and how that might affect my form and joints (and strength), but maybe it would be better in the long run. I'd really rather not spend $100+ on shoes that might not work out for me either.

Looking for thoughts from those that may have switched from flat to heeled lifting shoes.

Thanks.

I used to worry that a heel would be all wrong. Now I won't squat without one.

People think that since a flat foot is how you would squat "in nature", it's somehow the best choice for squatting with a loaded barbell across your rear delts. Tain't necessarily so.

Try this. Put a block under your toes and squat. You won't get much depth.

Try it flat foot. Much easier. But it's still more of a good morning and the stress goes to your posterior chain at the expense of your quads.

Put a block under your heels and getting depth becomes even easier. Plus the stress is more evenly distributed between PC and quads.

Use too much elevation under your heels, however, and the movement becomes like a high bar squat with all the stress on the quads with the knees getting farther out over the toes.

My point is that a slight heel is really ideal for getting depth and distributing the load between the glutes/hams and quads. Just like Rip has already said.
    Last edited by Gary Gibson; 11-28-2009 at 10:01 PM.

You know, that makes an ocean of sense.

I'mma going to try using my ninja combat boots for a week and I'll get back to you.

I would love to get a pair of Rogues, but I live in Australia and have a slightly weird foot where I could take from 11 to 12 in different shoes, so I'm loathe to order online without trying on a pair.
    Of course, I could just order a 12 and wear big socks...

@ tennisgod

I bought some Do-win's a while back (the same company that makes Rogue's and other re-branded lifting shoes).

I usually wear a 13 shoe but ended up with a 12 Do-win. Maybe others can chime in if they have any input, but in my case the size down was a much better fit, with room to spare.

And to the original question, yes the lifting shoes make a hell of a difference. Obvious from the second you unrack the barbell with a load on your back.
    Last edited by brobinson; 11-29-2009 at 06:19 PM.

I think the trick is to find a conservative heel. Some of the squat shoes have a pretty aggressive heel.

Without weightlifting heels I have no chance of getting depth with proper form. Sure I can squat with flat soles, but I always end up in a good morning like movement. They're generally good for powerlifting for other reasons aswell, for example you can arch your back better with heels, at least according to my experience and my fellow trainers.
    Also doing the olympic lifts is a bit hard without them.

Anyone tried the Sambas? I've seen them recommended before as possible weight training shoes. Do they have any heel? A bit cheaper to try out maybe.

I'd recommend having a bit of heel to squat in. Mechanically it will allow for more quadriceps involvement. Like Fontaine said, a conservative heel is going to be preferable to a large one (Do-Wins typically have a tall heel). VS Athletics' shoes aren't too bad (I use them), but you can find some that are lower. A half inch to an inch will be fine, anything more and it is just a shoe that is made for the conventional starting position in weightlifting.

starting strength coach development program
    Okay, tentative results, as always my opinion may change wildly as I discover everything I do is bad and wrong:

Squat

The heel helps a lot in getting my knees forward early, so the descent is more firmly like sitting into the biceps femorises, instead of hanging off the quadriceps. For inflexible bastards like myself, I would say this is practically mandatory, and I won't squat even unweighted without it now.

Deadlift

The deadlift actually feels harder. It might be due to a strength imbalance in my legs (which now have to move an extra two or three torturous centimeters). Or maybe because my heart feels like it's going to explode thanks to a combination of the added fat in my diet and plummeting temperatures.

Press

I have to do a partial front squat to start this poop, so I suppose it is beneficial. First time I tried it, had some trouble with keeping my balance at the top of the lift, but have long since overcome that.

Bench Press

My feet can now touch the floor while on the bench. That's pretty nice.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast