starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tim's Training Log

Default Tim's Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi All,

30 y/o 6'3", 93kg/205lbs, somewhere around 15-17% bf, kinda skinny fat. Time to get strong. Have been crossfitting for a while but lack of strength is holding me back a lot. I've read the book cover to cover, have a fridge full of milk and meat, and a great gym with real honest-to-god lifting platforms and power cages.

First workout today:

Squat 45kg 5/5/5
    Bench 35kg 5/5/5
    Deadlift 70kg 5

The bench went up really easily but I thought it best to keep that low. Squats I can do much better than that on, but a combination of trashed glutes/hams from the last lunging workout and the desire to start light kept me on 45kg. Comments welcome on those numbers, especially if they're way off for a newb.

Welcome to SS Tim looks like you are all set to get some good results. Just remember stick to the prescribed program and eat big and you will have success.

Your gym sounds good I am jealous mine is a joke

With regards your numbers they look fine it is much better to be conservative than let your ego take over. This way you will see progress over the long term rather than just over a couple of sessions. If I was you I would try to avoid inconsistent jumps in the weights you go up each session. If you plan to make 10 pound jumps on deadlift stick to it. Even if you feel there is more in the tank keep it there for the next workout, you will be amazed the difference this makes.

Have Fun

Congrats on getting started, dude. I agree with JC that the numbers are nothing to worry about. You can just look at the bumps you plan to make every workout and see how that would play out over a few months on the program - no matter what, you will definitely end up lifting heavy weight if you keep making the gains. That's how I see it anyway; consistency is key. I'm just starting my fourth week, so I can at least tell you that the early weeks feel damn good; I bet you'll see big gains and feel more kickass in general.

Thanks guys, will do.

Bit of DOMS in the quads and TFL from the first workout, nothing terrible though.

Squat 50kg 5/5/5
    Press 30kg 5/5/5
    Power Clean 40kg 3/3/3/3/3

Also found a set of fractional 1/4kg plates which will be nice for the press (soon!)

DOMS all gone, bit tired and slightly dazed though, I think from getting used to all the milk and extra food. Last rep of the squats was tough, annoying considering I've done 80kg for 3x5 with relative ease in the past. Bench and Deadlift were easy.

Squat 55kg 5/5/5
    Bench 40kg 5/5/5
    Deadlift 80kg 5

Big improvement in the feel of the squat today. My hip drive was rubbish, feels much better now.

Squat 60kg 5/5/5
    Press 35kg 5/5/5
    Power Clean 45kg 3/3/3/3/3

Put on about 2kg in weight since last week too.

Squats still feeling good. Bench hard - push moves aren't great with arms as long as mine. Deadlift still easy.

Squat 65kg 5/5/5
    Bench 45kg 5/5/5
    Deadlift 90kg 5

Training with a hangover today thanks to work's Christmas party. Interesting experience!

Squat 70kg 5/5/5
    Press 40kg 5/5/5
    Power Clean 50kg 3/3/3/3/3

Press is getting heavy. Going to go up by 2.5 next time. Power cleans need some form tightening up I think; some go up easy, some feel awful. Squats are good.

Nice job on training through that hangover.

starting strength coach development program
    Week 3 beginning. Weight feeling nicely heavy on all exercises.

Squat 75kg 5/5/5
    Bench 50kg 5/5/5
    Deadlift 100kg 5

Will consider going up 2.5 next bench workout, depending on how I feel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast