starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunter's log

Default Hunter's log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Started a CFWF-esque program recently. The goals are to gain muscular bodyweight, not too much fat, and to keep some conditioning.

Starting stats:
    150# bw
    squat - 185#x5x4, 215#x1
    bench - 135#x5x4
    press - 85#x5x5, 105#x1
    deadlift - 235#x5, 275#x1
    power clean - 145#x3x5, 165#x1

I actually started CFWF two weeks ago, and started my third week yesterday. Here's the first two weeks of workouts, starting with my last CFT.

(notation - weight x sets x reps)

11-12

Squat
    205#(pr), 215#(pr), 225#(f)
    first time breaking 200 on squats, was so pumped about it that I decided to go for 225, but my back rounded a lot in the bottom, probably could have fought it up but it would have been ugly and it would have hurt

Press
    95#, 100#(pr), 105#(pr)
    first time hitting triple digits on press, stoked about that too

Deadlift
    245#, 265#(pr), 275#(pr)
    pretty happy about this too, felt like I could have done more, but had already used up my 3 chances, and 275 had some back rounding

Total
    595#
    beats my old total by 80#

Here's my old log if anyone's interested.
    Last edited by Chris H Laing; 12-03-2009 at 05:11 PM.

Week 1:

11-16

squats
    175#x4x5
    hard

bench
    135#x3x3
    got me some 45s on each side!

20-15-10
    db push press, 30#
    box jumps, 20in
    didnt time, somewhere around 3-4 minutes

11-17

power clean
    135#x5x3
    pretty easy, nice and snappy

11-19

squat
    185#x3x3
    was supposed to go for 175#x5x5 but my legs were still very sore, I figured lower volume would be easier on them

press
    85#x3x5
    felt good

11-20

deadlift
    225#x5
    was supposed to do 215 but 225 was already on the bar

back ext
    3x10
    probably gunna cool down with these on power clean and deadlift days

Week 2

11-23

squat
    185#x3x4
    felt terrible, had some hip pain, didnt warm up enough

bench press
    135#x3x5
    started off not feeling too hot but finished strong

3 rounds
    3 clapping pushups
    6 pullups
    9 box jumps
    1-2 minutes
    no watch still, but everything was unbroken, should have gone for another round

11-24

power clean
    140#x5x3
    form wasnt perfect but overall felt really good

back ext
    3x10

11-27

squat
    185#x3x5
    sucked the life out of me, but this is a 5# pr from my last SS cycle when I was 10 lbs heavier

press
    85#x5x5
    felt decent

Week 3 so far...

11-30

squat
    185#x4x5
    fucking hard, wasnt sitting back enough in my squat, most of these were good mornings

bench
    135#x4x5
    not bad

12-1

power clean
    145#x6x2

back ext
    +10#x3x10

15-12-9
    db swings, 55#
    20in box jumps
    2:16
    killed my lower back

12-3

(notation change - weight x reps x sets)

squat
    185#x5x5
    easier than 4x5, need to focus on knees out

press
    90#x3x3
    not bad at all

I don't understand, why aren't you adding weight to your squats? Is the CFWF program a monthly increase (advanced) program?

well, you linked your old log so it's fair game to pull stuff from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris H Laing
    Regarding SS, I've tried it and I didn't like it. I think it might be too intense for me. I've been through two SS cycles, the first one stalling out at 170# on my squat and the second one stalling out at 180#. Tomorrow I'll be doing 185# for 3x5 which will be a new PR, and I expect it to be pretty easy if I can keep my form together.

Another reason SS isn't for me is because it isnt fun. When I was doing SS I dreading going into the weight room. I'm not a professional athlete, nor am I ever going to be one, so I see no reason for me to do a training program that I hate. For me, it more about having fun and looking good naked.
    which i find weird, because CFWF is mostly a modified SS-inspired routine, which you've managed to mess up anyway - CFWF calls for two squat workouts per week, each time 3 sets of 5, and you've been all over the place with your sets and reps.

Webbie,

here's the CFWF schedule: crossfitwichitafalls.com/Content/CFWF_Program.pdf. it isn't an intermediate or advanced program. the main difference from SS is that it has you squatting twice a week. you're still supposed to progress every workout, though.

I knew this would come up sooner or later. I'm following CFWF schedule, but not necessarily their progression. Mine is a little more complicated because I find I burn out very quickly adding weight every session.

I'm looking for something more sustainable, so I've opting for a different version of linear progression. The reps start at 3x3, then advance to 3x5, and from there 5x5. Then you start over at a higher weight.

So I am still making progress in a linear fashion, from workout to workout, albeit not quit the same way most people do.

Edit: My winter break is coming up soon. I'll be spending a whole month at home, which means more food, more sleep, and much less alcohol.

At the start of my break, I will start a linear progression on my lifts in CFWF that will last for the whole month of my break, and maybe a little more time once second semester starts up. Eventually I won't be able to recover and I'll have to go back to what I'm doing now, but I am going to use my break as an opportunity to put up some heavier weights.
    Last edited by Chris H Laing; 12-04-2009 at 11:56 AM.

12-4

deadlift
    235#x5
    easy

back ext
    +10#x10x3

starting strength coach development program
    Good luck on maintaining linear progress over the break. Things like school and work can complicate a strict training program, so having time to focus and easy access to food can be very helpful.

You don't list your height, but if your body weight is only 150lbs., I would suspect that lack of food is the main culprit in your inability maintain linear progress for a reasonable amount of time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast