starting strength gym

Thread: Baby Steps

Default Baby Steps

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I posted couple of videos few weeks ago, for which i got good constructive feedback. Since then, I have stepped back and focussed primarily on improving the squat. However, I still can't seem to figure this damn thing out. I have been doing overhead squats with swiss ball and broomstick. Doing all kinds of stretching exercises. Shoving the knees out as much as possible but depth is not working.

So please be kind enough view this video and provide feedback for improvement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo2nRPxtxE8

Regards,
    Abgo

Quote Originally Posted by abgo View Post
    I posted couple of videos few weeks ago, for which i got good constructive feedback. Since then, I have stepped back and focussed primarily on improving the squat. However, I still can't seem to figure this damn thing out. I have been doing overhead squats with swiss ball and broomstick. Doing all kinds of stretching exercises. Shoving the knees out as much as possible but depth is not working.

So please be kind enough view this video and provide feedback for improvement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo2nRPxtxE8

Regards,
    Abgo
    Depth looks fine to me. You need to focus more on keeping your chest up, however. And you do appear to have buttwink, although it's difficult to see from this angle. Do the lower back awareness exercise in SS before you squat. If you simply can't mantain that back extension no matter how hard you try, it's probably flexibility. Keep stretching and do some myofasical release if so.

But mainly, focus on keeping the chest up.

abgo,

Both the extremely, extremely minor "butt wink" that you're experiencing plus any depth issues that you might have will most likely resolve once you add more weight to the bar. Rip talks about this in Starting Strength.

A squat performed with a very light weight and a squat with a substantial amount of weight added to it will not look the same, at all. In fact, critiquing your squat at this point is rather useless, since this video does not represent what your squat will look like under a heavier load.

Add some weight to that bar, stop worrying and squat!!!!!!

-Stacey

when I warm up with the bar, the bar warmups are almost harder than when I have 135 on the bar, depth, form and everything-wise. Squats work better with something to actually squat and push against

Pull the elbows back and BIG breath help get the big chest. But as said, add some weight and see how it changes too.

Quote Originally Posted by nisora33 View Post

Add some weight to that bar, stop worrying and squat!!!!!!
    +1 on adding weight. I had similar minor butt winks and a sort of soft lower back at lower weights. This all disappeared once I crossed the 300# barrier...in fact when comparing videos I'd say my 315 weight was one of my most techinically perfect lifts so far (I'm due to try 325 next). The amount of tension I can build up in my upper body with a deep breath, a belt, and 300+#s will overcome any flexibility issues eventually.

what nisora33 said.

many of us have problems getting depth without a weight on our shoulders. the weight will stretch you in the hole and help you get depth.

Also, as Rip has stated, sometimes it is easier for the low back to stay in extension with more weight on the bar since it gives the spinal erectors something to contract against.

Thanks everybody for your time and feedback.

To sum up, I should do the following:
    1) Add more weight
    2) Keep the lower back extended
    3) Raise chest
    4) Stretching and myofascial release with a foam roller.

I will incorporate them and will post new video.

Regards,
    Abhi

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by abgo View Post
    Thanks everybody for your time and feedback.

To sum up, I should do the following:
    1) Add more weight
    2) Keep the lower back extended
    3) Raise chest
    4) Stretching and myofascial release with a foam roller.

I will incorporate them and will post new video.

Regards,
    Abhi
    Don't bother stretching if you can keep your lower back extended and chest up. Often, fixing one thing fixes many with form, and it may be the case that by keeping your chest up everything else will improve. Stretching might not necessary, really, because the problem is more often just a lack of lower back awareness.