starting strength gym

Thread: How long does it take you to warm various movements/bodyparts up?

Default How long does it take you to warm various movements/bodyparts up?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've found that my press and bench need a lot more time to warm up than my other, bigger lifts. Specifically the press, My first two sets of 5 (work sets, Texas Method) are more difficult than the last 3. This indicates to me that the warm up is the issue, which I am in the process of rectifying.

Does anyone else have similar or different experiences?

Just thought it was interesting

I usually don't touch a bar until I feel sweat running down the side of my head...I row or do BW squats until warm. Usually by the time I get to the bench, I feel like I am as warm as I'm going to get. But that being said I did notice yesterday that my 3rd set of BP(novice SS) was actually easier than the first set.

I generally find that my squats take the longest to warm up and everything else takes less time. The squats tend to provide me a little bit of warm up for everything else. It's interesting that you experience the reverse.

What TomC said. I'll do 4-5 sets of warmups with squats (starting at 135), by the time I'm done with that I'm as warm as I need to be. As for the later sets feeling lighter, I think this may have to do with adrenaline hitting you on the third set. I know that last set I start really getting into it, and that normally feels easier than my first two. I also do 4 warmup sets for every lift though.

Of course I'm only a novice, so my adaptation may be causing a different sensation for me, than yours does for you.

Quote Originally Posted by stronger View Post
    I've found that my press and bench need a lot more time to warm up than my other, bigger lifts. Specifically the press, My first two sets of 5 (work sets, Texas Method) are more difficult than the last 3. This indicates to me that the warm up is the issue, which I am in the process of rectifying.
    I've been doing the Texas method for about 2 months and I've noticed that the 4th set seems easier than the 1st set on all the lifts. In fact, I was just about to post asking if anybody else is having a similar experience when I read your post. Apparently this is common when doing 5X5 across. I find this pretty interesting. Anybody have a good solid explanation as to why this occurs?

Quote Originally Posted by El Viejo View Post
    I've been doing the Texas method for about 2 months and I've noticed that the 4th set seems easier than the 1st set on all the lifts. In fact, I was just about to post asking if anybody else is having a similar experience when I read your post. Apparently this is common when doing 5X5 across. I find this pretty interesting. Anybody have a good solid explanation as to why this occurs?
    Perhaps a question for Rip?

Quote Originally Posted by pbjorge12 View Post
    Perhaps a question for Rip?
    I think we can probably figure it out...plus it's good for us

Quote Originally Posted by stronger View Post

Does anyone else have similar or different experiences?

Just thought it was interesting
    Stronger,

You want to take the minimal amout of time/set/reps to warm up.

Too many individuals turn their warm up into a full blown workout. By the time they hit their top set, they've expended their strength and energy.

A large part of the warm up is preparting your central nervous system. For the most part that does not take a lot of time/sets/reps.

With that said, there are other factors.

What I've found to be one of the most prominate factors is the some lifters is more emotional. Some lifter's don't "feel" they are warmed up enough unless they perform a lot of sets.

If you don't let them take the number of warm up sets they "feel" they need, their head isn't in the right place for their top work set.

So, dealing with these emotional needs is part of the equation. What I do with someone who "feels" the need for multiple warm up sets is to let them do them but make sure they don't burn out before they hit their top set.

With others, such as my self, very few warm up are taken or needed. Pavel Tsatsouline (the kettlebell guy) is in the fewer warm up are better camp.

So, what some of this is addressing your emotonal need.

Do what "feels" right for you. Some of that takes a little experimentation.

Kenny Croxdale

Before I used the specific warmup scheme from SS saying 2x5 with empty bar than 5, 3 and finally 2 with more weight each set on the bar. But that took too much time and energy for the stage I was training at and I left not much power for the work sets especially when pressing.

Now at the transition phase between novice and intermediate I found out that the mentioned scheme only works good for the Squat as first movement, ergo when it gets heavy.
    But usually I use something like 2-3x8 empty bar and then 5, 5 and 2 reps with more weight each and not much more rest than it takes to add the plates. For pressing, which is still novice I do 2-3 sets of 5 and one of 2 and for the pulling 5,5,3 reps (DL) or 4x3 reps (PC).

What I never do is sit down while working out. I always keep moving around or do some light shadow boxing or very light stretching.

As general warm up do I like situps about 30 reps and then some sumostance DL high pulls with an empty bar and maybe some bodyweight squats as well, just to raise the body temperature and keep blood flowing.

That means in total I have about 10 min before I hit the first workset.

cheers
    felix

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by GermanHerman
    Before I used the specific warmup scheme from SS saying 2x5 with empty bar than 5, 3 and finally 2 with more weight each set on the bar. But that took too much time and energy...

Now at the transition phase between novice and intermediate I found out that the mentioned scheme only works good for the Squat as first movement, ergo when it gets heavy.
    But usually I use something like 2-3x8 empty bar and then 5, 5 and 2 reps with more weight each and not much more rest than it takes to add the plates
    doesn't make sense. sounds like you're doing even more warmup. i also don't agree that it only works for the squat. where did you "find that out?"