starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have a question on the Dead lift. Looking at the vid, it looks like my back is flat instead of curved. But it does seem to stay flat through the entire lift. Do I need more curve or is this a good position?

The firs vid is from my 260# warm up set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ6Wuz6_NDI

This one is my 310# work set (also my 5RM). I had an issue on this set though. Some idiot loaded the bar with 10# more pounds on the left side than the right. I had to bail on the 4th lift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V_DXA50J0U

Thanks for your time.

Welcome to the board, bergie.

Good job on your lifts. Your back during your 260# set looks just fine. Very good lifting. Older gentleman like yourself tend to lose some of that natural curvature as they age, and I think that's what you're seeing. Just to make sure, take a video of yourself just standing there sideways to the camera. Now, take a depth breath, squeeze your chest up and pull your shoulders back. Watch the video. This video should represent what maximal extension looks like for you. Compare what you see in that video to the ones that you filmed today. If you're back position in both videos appears similar enough, then you have your confirmation.

You do lose some back extension, both lumbar and thoracic, during your workset. It's not terrible, and that will happen as the weight gets heavier and heavier. If I saw such a loss of extension in an absolute beginner, I might be worried, but not in someone who has obviously worked progressively and diligently up to your level of advancement. However, the fact that you're beginning to see some loss of extension MAY mean that a deload is in the near future. Ultimately, you'll have to decide for yourself how much is too much loss of extension, but right now, I see no reason to be worried.

-Stacey

They looked fine to me. Your back isn't going to stay in perfect extension during work sets.

Stacey and Nauticus, thanks for your input.