starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Mark,

After an unfortunate longer-than-planned time out from lifting, I've purchased/read PPST and I've started SS again. I'm in the habit of recording all my work sets and reviewing them each week, along with in-workout notes, and was hoping you could take a look. Obviously, I'm watching the videos to critique myself based on SS, but teaching myself to find faults has been a long process, and doesn't always seem to happen. I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts on few sets.

Here are the Squats (3x5 ~2min)

Generally, this is much lighter than what I was working with last winter, but it is what it is - this is my starting point today. What I noticed: sometimes my head drifts up so my neck is not in line with my spine, I have terrible butt wink, and depth may have been questionable on a couple reps. I'm wearing Chuck's so I'm virtually flat on the floor. Would weightlifting shoes potentially help the butt wink?

Cheers,
    grepat

Boys, this "butt-wink" thing has just got to stop. Look at his low back: this is what your low back looks like when you squat correctly. There is no excessive lumbar flexion occurring, and the only way it ever looks "better" that this is on a hyperlordotic female with a lot of joint laxity. Your back never hurts, does? So quit worrying about that and just the weight up to a productive level as soon as possible. Yes, get some better shoes. No, there's nothing bad wrong with your neck. Yes your depth could be better on rep 3, last set, perhaps a half inch high, maybe. You are belaboring minutia and lifting easy weights as a result. You squats are fine, now get strong.

That is a really nice rack of wood in your garage.

I was under the impression that my "butt wink" was excessive, but I'll put that thought to rest now. To answer your question, no my back has never, ever hurt from Squats. Well, ever since I felt what hip-drive was for the first time - thanks SS!

Belaboring minutia is what I do. That's why my stacks of wood look so good.