starting strength gym
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stronger every day, week, month, year

Default Stronger every day, week, month, year

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Starting a log to further my learning on the subject of strength training.

Baseline:
    36yrs old, family guy, work about 55hrs a week
    211 lbs from 190 lbs in September, 6ft tall
    Current PRs
    Squat 320 5X3 (just did 296 after a 10% reset on Friday)
    Deadlift 330 5X1
    BP 192 5X3
    P 125 5X3
    PC 170 3X5
    Snatch 140 single
    Gear: Belted, VS shoes, TK Bands neoprene for knees, Chucks for DL

Started SS last spring and made linear progress up until cycling season took over. Tried to just maintain gains while training ~12-15 hrs a week. I have worked out mostly 6 days per week until just recently(3 days in the weight room, the rest on the bike). Recently, I decided to take some time off of the bike and see how strong I can get. Back on a Novice progression this fall but I just did a 10% reset on my squat because I had a workout where was I about an inch high for all but 3 or 4 out of the 15 total reps. My form has been solid since the reset. Hoping to keep the linear progress going until I hit 220 bw.

Nice numbers. Do you have a home gym?

Thanks! I started last spring at 165 sq 175 DL, 135 BP, 80 P

Oh yeah forgot to mention that. With my schedule I can't fathom driving around town to get to a gym...that and there only the cheesy type gyms around so I decided to just outfit my garage. I have a platform that I built, a half squat rack, a bench, york bumpers, olympic bar, a rower, a GHD, and bike rollers and power trainer.

So yeah, I get home, change out of my work clothes, walk into the garage, and get started.

I knew it! I'm jealous. I'm stuck with my university gym. No chalk, crappy bars with baby's bottom smooth knurling, and the plates are made out of shitty plastic that seems to be breaking apart.

Webbie, you got it made! I usually work around 50 hours a week, but with no garage and low ceilings in the basement, I'm kind of stuck. I'm a 33 year old family guy, so I can definitely relate to that time situation. Look forward to keeping up with your log.

Workout tonight:
    Squat 308 5X3
    BP 193 5X3 PR
    PC 154 3X5
    Chin-ups 7 PR

Squat form felt solid with good depth. I may have a budding thumb injury. I felt a big pop in my left thumb the last time I did PCs. It has been sore and swollen but I thought I could just train through it. As soon as I tried my first warm-up pull (hook grip) I let it go. The pain is similar to how a sprained ankle feels but is only during the hook grip. So I went for the conventional grip for the rest of my reps. I pulled less but didn't have any more sharp pain. My left thumb is swollen right now so I think I'll ice it and see how it responds.

A couple of equipment observations. Belt: I wore my belt backwards for PC tonight. Felt supported and I didn't bump the buckle at all. Shoes: I realized that I had been wearing them loose enough that my feet would slide forward in the shoes and I would end up getting on my toes at some point. I really cinched them down tight and felt solid and balanced for the whole set.

Milk: My wife bought me two gallons of milk today with expiration dates of Wednesday. Pretty good deal...2 for 1 and the bonus is I have a deadline on those two gallons...I have to drink them in the next two days or risk getting sick

12/9 Workout
    Squat 315 5X3
    Press 127 5X3
    DL 340X1 fail

I think I ran out of juice in this workout. I had been dealing with some digestive issues over the last week and let my eating go a bit light . I think it caught up with me by the time I made it to the DL. I'll eat a lot and hit it again on Monday.

12/14 workout
    sq 320 3x5
    bp 195 3x5
    ghd bw 3x5

I took Friday off for parties and i learned that 4 days off is just too much time off for me. I should have done some light recovery stuff on Saturday. My squat was a fight. BP was solid.

I'll be drinking milk and watching MNF for the next few hours

oh and I had my wrist/thumb adjusted this morning. The chiro said it was definitely out of place and some of the swelling and range of motion are back to normal this evening. He asked me to rest it for a week or so before trying out PCs again since this is in the strain/sprain category.

starting strength coach development program
    Nice squat numbers and I hope your thumb recovers quickly.
    Last edited by Mr.City; 12-14-2009 at 08:31 PM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast