starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Newbie

Default Super Newbie

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I ordered the book and DVD- just waiting for it to come in the mail. When they come I will be consume the information and read the book several times I am sure including watching the DVD till the player gives out.

When I say super newbie- that is what I mean. I havent lifted prior outside of machines and a few weights. Nothing like this though. But this is what I need in my life. I wont bore anyone with the details, I was going to do a journal for all that stuff. Needless to say I am new and as a brand new person to this what is the best advice for someone like me?

Real quick- female, overweight (need to lose 50 pounds) out of shape~ I am working on the diet aspect of it now. Anything else that needs to be known for a proper response~ please ask

Welcome Warrior! Not long ago, most of us were super-n00bs. So you are in good company.

What kind of place do you have to train?

My advise.... take it slow and ensure form is absolutely correct.

Thanks! I have a gym on base (Air National Guard- so we run on a much smaller budget then active duty) I will have to check out what they have for a barbell and weights. It isnt a very big or impressive- but it is FREE

I joined a female rugby team and want to kick ass in the spring/summer season. Plus I just got a new Guard job and need to go to survival school at some point. With the physical aspect, I want to be very ready and prepared for it.

well as long as it has a squat rack and barbells, you should be fine.

Be sure to read and reread the book. It contains all the info you need to know.

My advice would be to find someone on base that has either prior experience with the basic barbell lifts or is interested in lifting with you. Having a second set of eyes is invaluable.

Be compassionate with yourself, if you get frustrated, you can bet there is somebody on this board who has an answer for you.

1) Never miss a workout. 2) Sleep at least 8 hrs every night
    When you are doing #1 and #2 consistently then worry about diet...btw 95% of the people on this board are trying to gain weight. Don't sweat the extra 50 lbs...it's cool to be big here

Quote Originally Posted by Webbie View Post
    1) Never miss a workout.
    I understand why you say this, but I think this is dangerous to suggest. There are times when you are sick or the body is just unwilling to lift the current weights where the risk of injury is greater than the benefit of lifting.
    We need to approach lifting sensibly and realise that lifting is a marathon not a sprint. A single day in proportion to years of training is minuscule. Training is a practice that can create serious injury with higher weights if done incorrectly, and one needs full concentration/health, which cannot be every day.

starting strength coach development program
    Indeed. Missing a session isn't the end of the world, but the danger is getting into a mindset of skipping sessions. I've missed a session due to illness, which has dragged on into a 2 week break, before I realised what a pussy I was being.

Listen to us, scaring the new girl with talk of injuries before she's even started.
    You'll be fine. Train hard, sleep well, and get your form correct.

Oh, and try to get out of the losing weight mindset. Get a good body-fat measurement (eg. caliper readings by someone competant) if you want to track that aspect. You'll end up with a higher muscle and bone etc density if you're doing it right, weight's a poor way to measure someone's body composition (hence my hatred of BMI).

Welcome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast