starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One of the signs of the coming apocalypse...

Default One of the signs of the coming apocalypse...

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...aboratory.html

I don't know whether to feel excited or horrified. I'm going to be able to "grow" meat in my own home one day. Think of what this will do for my grocery bill and my training.

-Stacey

I doubt this'll be the sort of thing we'll be doing at home. At least in the foreseeable future, this will be done in labs. But it might very well eventually be cheaper than raising cows just to slice them up for food.

Interestingly, I just saw an episode of the sitcom Better Off Ted where they grew meat in the lab, but found that they needed to exercise it to make it taste good. First time I've seen a sitcom make an accurate scientific prediction.

I'm all for scientific discovery and enhancement, but I'm not sure what I think about this.

If you've done any research on the common practices for raising chickens and pigs then this might seem like a pretty darn good thing.

I love my meat but the processes used to raise cheap meat are pretty darn frightening from both a cruelty and a human health perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertFontaine View Post
    I love my meat but the processes used to raise cheap meat are pretty darn frightening from both a cruelty and a human health perspective.
    +1. It's a shame good meat is priced at a premium, in part due to cheap meat being a loss leader in many stores :-/

Colbert had an episode on Sheet Meat a bit over a year ago. The scientist had a Russian-ish accent, and when they asked him why it was called shmeat, he said "is combination of sheet and meat." And the "sheet" sounded like "shit", so luls were milked from it.

So hopefully they'll stumble on a more marketable term for the stuff.

There are awesome ramifications for this stuff - besides the hope of cheaper meat, note how trivial it would be to cultivate tissue of any sort once a method is sorted out.

We could be eating lions.

(For other zany singularity-esque things that may or may not happen during our life times/life span of our species... Wiki has a list. OLEDs are somewhat high on my "do want" list. Magnet trains in a vacuum would be nice in theory too.)
    Last edited by BryanM; 12-07-2009 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanM View Post

There are awesome ramifications for this stuff - besides the hope of cheaper meat, note how trivial it would be to cultivate tissue of any sort once a method is sorted out.

We could be eating lions.
    Endangered baby seals and panda bears, FTW.

Quote Originally Posted by nisora33 View Post
    Endangered baby seals and panda bears, FTW.
    Amen, brother!

starting strength coach development program
    this is similiar to an episode on TLC or discovery channel about pharmceutical companies making organs in petry dishes. they were making calf kidneys and lungs and they had a man who lost part of his hand /fingers and with dna material from what was left they grew 1 new finger and skin to be surgically placed on the damage limb. it didnt go on to say how it all worked out-but they grew a complete living tissue finger. so not to hard to dna some pork chops i gather.

would i eat it....uh no it was made in a lab. if they grew me a new leg after i lost one yes id wear it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast