starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Check Squat Technique

Default Check Squat Technique

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mr. Rippetoe, Could I get you to check my squat technique? I have tried to follow your direction in SS, but could use some feedback. Unfortunately I have to lift at the local YMCA and there is not one competent trainer there to ask, unless of course you are looking to do curls with pink dumbbells standing on half a rubber ball, and that’s just not my thing. I am 39 and started a 5x5 program in October and now have switched to your 3x5. I am now at 215# with my squats having started with an empty bar in Oct. I feel I am not yet close to a stall. I was concerned I may have a problem with technique when about 3 weeks ago my quads on both legs especially right above the knee seemed to be staying sore. They seem to feel best half way into my sets and feel ok until sometime the next day. Thanks for any feedback you have time for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD69VbB29yk
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 12-07-2009 at 06:39 PM.

Well Rip has transferred your video to the main Training Discussion forum, which likely means either there are some very obvious common errors taking place, or he can't be fucked. Probably both.

Anyway, your knees are sliding forward, sometimes for the duration of the descent, but especially at the bottom of the squat. They should move to about just past your toes (TUBOW) in the first 1/3 of the descent, then stay there until the last 1/3 of the ascent.

And you seem to lack hip drive.

What Sami said. And I like to see a great big "fish gulp" of air taken in right before the descent. This breath should lift the chest UP, UP, which means the upper back will have tightened. This should of course be accompanied by the elbows staying squeezed the fuck up. Drill it into your noggin.

-Stacey

While you're focusing on getting your knees forward sooner and keeping them there, like Sami said, you should also think about pushing your knees out to the sides, you know, like it says in a certain book that I remember seeing lying around here somewhere. Hmmmmm...

First of all, your elbows need to be at a 12 degree higher angle relative to the floor. You're taking too many steps back, as well. Also, I see the slightest hint of buttwink - this can only worsen. Deload by 50 pounds and fix this. At 29 seconds in, you look as if you are beginning a good morning, but then drop clumsily down into a squat. Unacceptable. It must be one fluid motion. You also hit the barbell on the hooks walking back in - this means you need to lower the hooks to three placements lower.

Heh, just kidding.. don't hurt me, please, guys. Your knees are coming forward at the bottom, and that's all I see that's glaringly wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Nauticus View Post
    First of all, your elbows need to be at a 12 degree higher angle relative to the floor. You're taking too many steps back, as well. Also, I see the slightest hint of buttwink - this can only worsen. Deload by 50 pounds and fix this. At 29 seconds in, you look as if you are beginning a good morning, but then drop clumsily down into a squat. Unacceptable. It must be one fluid motion. You also hit the barbell on the hooks walking back in - this means you need to lower the hooks to three placements lower.

Heh, just kidding.. don't hurt me, please, guys. Your knees are coming forward at the bottom, and that's all I see that's glaringly wrong.
    All of this should take place exactly 1 min. 30 sec before the stroke of midnight and 1 min. following the ceremonial lighting of the squat candles.

Quote Originally Posted by nisora33 View Post
    All of this should take place exactly 1 min. 30 sec before the stroke of midnight and 1 min. following the ceremonial lighting of the squat candles.
    But first he must bring us a shrubbery.

The barbell was 1.43mm too high and at a 0.43 degree angle to the right. You should've taken exactly 3 breaths before unracking and a further 3 breaths before your first rep. Then 1.5 breaths between reps. Make sure that each breath is only 2.7 seconds in duration. That is key.

Your nose should also create an exact 45 degree angle with the floor. Exactly.

OK, I thought I might find some usable critique on this forum from some grown men who might want to help a guy learn. I will seek help elsewhere. I will go back to the book and read again. Thanks

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by staypuft View Post
    OK, I thought I might find some usable critique on this forum
    And you don't think the first 3 replies count?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast