starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

Default Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Howdy,
    I've got my last set of Deadlifts that I wanted some eyes to look at.

It was the first set so far that has really felt hard (and consequentially I'm still feeling it now a couple hours later).

Now technically it wasn't a set as I let go of the bar, but that was just the pussy in me. I grabbed the bar again and fucking picked it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3-qEvMLl7g

I see that I'm sticking my butt to far down in the setup but other than that they looked OK. I wasn't hitching them but I was changing my positions to get leverage at sticking points.

What's everyone's thoughts on the set?

where are your shins relative to the bar? hard to see from this angle but you MIGHT not have your shoulder blades directly over the bar. where is your weight vis-a-vis your feet when you start the pull. ie, do you feel like you could curl your toes up? that's how you should feel when starting the pull.

Yeah sorry about the shitty angle - I mostly film these for myself but when an odd issue/something new comes along I end up posting.

Shins are roughly an inch away. The bar is over my midfoot.
    I'm getting back onto my heels before each pull.

looked at your video again. your ass is too high. it looks as if there is little involvement of the legs because they are already extended at the beginning of the pull. you are pulling that fucker with your back mostly.
    Last edited by misspelledgeoff; 12-10-2009 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by misspelledgeoff View Post
    looked at your video again. your ass is too high. it looks as if there is little involvement of the legs because they are already extended at the beginning of the pull. you are pulling that fucker with your back mostly.
    Are you sure? I definitely feel it in my legs.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql-N9hAuxNs - It seems like I'm doing what Rip says in this video and he does teach a "high hips" position. But maybe I'm wrong?

depending on what others say, you may want to post it to Rips Q&A. I'm curious about the answer myself. something is off about your last two reps. it's hard for me to put my finger on it.

I disagree with geoff. Butt is not too high. If anything, your butt gets a little bit too low on some reps.

You could maybe get the back set a tiny bit better (squeeze the chest up), but they look good, IMO.

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah, I don't think your butt is too high. I think it dropped a little low on a couple of reps, it looked like you were getting a little hurried at the beginning. That's really easy to do.
    I find that if I pull up just enough to make the bar click as I set my back it produces tension in all the appropriate places, and makes me squeeze up from the heels in a more consistent starting position.