starting strength gym

Thread: Increase weight or repeat set?

Default Increase weight or repeat set?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    What to do? Go ahead and increase the weight the next work out or repeat the same weight.

I've been doing the novice SS linear progression for a couple months, thus far the sets have been manageable. Hard as hell but still getting the full 3x5. Today, I had my coach at the CrossFit box watch my last set of squats, he said I missed full depth on a couple of the reps. Now, Russell's a good coach, knows his shit, has attended Rip's barbell cert and is a stickler for form and depth. He said I was to parallel, just not below.

So, should I consider these missed reps and stay at this weight until I get them all to full depth? Or...go ahead and increase 5lbs the next work out?

Stay at your current weight. Getting all 3 sets of 5 reps = getting all 3 sets of 5 @ full depth.

-Stacey

I think everyone will respond that you should ensure form is correct. Even though progression is an integral part of SS, I think we should always try to maximum the potential and benefit of each weight before moving on.

To put it another way, being shallow of depth was a response to the weight being too heavy for you at this point in time, then going to full depth would (likely) have lead to you missing those reps. Follow?

Quote Originally Posted by nisora33 View Post
    To put it another way, being shallow of depth was a response to the weight being too heavy for you at this point in time, then going to full depth would (likely) have lead to you missing those reps. Follow?
    What's your opinion on even dropping the weight back a progression or about 5 pounds to ensure the trainee can relax and worry about the form more than the presence of heavy weight?

Quote Originally Posted by nisora33 View Post
    Yeah, that makes sense. Guess I'm getting greedy.
    I'm pretty sure all the reps on the first 2 sets were full squats. So...I guess I was thinking 12-13 reps out to the 15 was good enough. Today's weight was 255#, which was my 1RM when I started linear progression, so maybe there's a mental aspect of getting past this weight that's clouding my judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by stronger View Post
    What's your opinion on even dropping the weight back a progression or about 5 pounds to ensure the trainee can relax and worry about the form more than the presence of heavy weight?
    If it's a mental issue you think they're dealing with, then staying at the same weight and adequate coaching should get them through that rough patch. This will usually involve large amounts of yelling and swearing at them. Threats on their life usually work as well.

-S.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickBaldwin View Post
    He said I was to parallel, just not below.
    Why do you want to go below parallel?

because a properly performed squat goes below parallel. only slightyly, but still below.

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    Jeez, man... have you read the books?