starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Squat depth

Default Squat depth

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Howdy all,

I used to have issues with going way too low in squats, generally via a combination of a too-fast eccentric speed and relaxing stuff. Over the past few months, I've been working on my strength in a momentarily paused style squat (much like that described in Starr's The Strongest Shall Survive, though in this case done low bar), and while I've gotten much, much tighter, I actually seem to be compensating to the point where my depth is now borderline high.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQz-y0zS-sQ&fmt=18

Taken from a workout last night. By my eye, these reps look extremely close to feractual parallel, but I might be a teency bit high, so I'm curious what more educated eyes than me think here.

Obviously, if I introduced a real bounce, there'd be a tendency to grab another inch or two, which would probably solve the problem, and I am guessing that adopting heeled shoes may also help things. Another standard cue is "knees out," but I am already shoving the knees out, though I suppose more is possible.

As it stands, I am not even getting much "butt tuck," so I think the limits of depth here is actually a pretty good indication of my hamstring flexibility, which is not so awesome. But I am going about as low as I can here while staying as tight as I can in the bottom, so I suppose I was curious what others thought of the depth. Worth fixing?

I don't exactly have "educated eyes," but your squat looks pretty damn good to me. I suppose you could stand to go a smidge deeper but I don't think anyone would call you on it.

(p.s. impressive chins, btw)

Agreed with Raskolnikov and with you.

Squat looks fine. Could be a smidge lower, but these are perfect paused squats to parallel (maybe a hair higher) and as you've pointed out you'll get another couple of inches when you resume normal squatting and go for the bounce off the ham attachments.

Hi,

I dont' feel like I can comment on your squats.
    One thing I would point out though, and it's peripheral, is that coach Rippetoe advices in pretty strong terms against going backwards when replacing the bar at the end of the set.

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    Hi,

I dont' feel like I can comment on your squats.
    One thing I would point out though, and it's peripheral, is that coach Rippetoe advices in pretty strong terms against going backwards when replacing the bar at the end of the set.

IPB
    I know, but this is solely for the purpose of taking video (i.e. there's nowhere to film that angle from the front).

Quote Originally Posted by blowdpanis View Post
    I know, but this is solely for the purpose of taking video (i.e. there's nowhere to film that angle from the front).
    Please accept my apologies for being unhelpfully picky.

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    Please accept my apologies for being unhelpfully picky.

IPB
    Totally fine, I appreciate everyone's feedback, and for all you knew, I enjoyed reverse racking squats

On the subject of pausing your squats, I actually once asked Rip if Bill Starr's stance had changed regarding momentarily pausing squats at the bottom, but he told me I should ask Bill. My experience so far with them has been mostly positive, I just feel more stable at the bottom and it's taught me to stay tight pretty well.

Your chins are awesome... this is the one exercise I really struggle on.

I was just watching the SS video on the squat, and at around 11:40, Rip says something along the lines of "don't relax to reach your depth", so you're probably approaching your squat problems the right way.

I'm sure as you go heavier (the weight in the video looked pretty easy) the weight will force you to go lower, even though everything is just as tight.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Gibson View Post
    Agreed with Raskolnikov and with you.

Squat looks fine. Could be a smidge lower, but these are perfect paused squats to parallel (maybe a hair higher) and as you've pointed out you'll get another couple of inches when you resume normal squatting and go for the bounce off the ham attachments.
    Gary,

You drop too quickly in your squat. Slow it down.

Kenny Croxdale

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast