starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaining weight on a budget

Default Gaining weight on a budget

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I guess this is a question extremely relevant to people who are poor, or want to save money now so as not to end up poor later: What are some good ways to gain weight by spending a ridiculously low amount of money?

My current crappy diet of poverty is this:

1 peanut butter sandwich
    4 plate-sized belgium waffles
    1 plate-sized home made pizza (+~5 large slices of pepperoni)
    ~.75 pounds of beef or fried chicken

Some extra incidental food sometimes falls in front of me like mana from heaven, but isn't a dependable boon.

So this particular diet is only good for getting to around 205 pounds - my own personal situation will require some ramping up without adding moar waffles, as the second waffle meal is already soul crushing. Bean burritos are what I kind of want that's also realistic.

It all comes in under $4 a day, but I know there must be a few ways to squeeze more out of a dollar. In an ideal world, I'd be eating all my meals at the Texas Roadhouse and a chinese buffet nonstop, but not all of us can be like Madoff with his hookers and backrubs.

So uh...

* Please share poverty diets you or someone you know have used.

* Are there cheaper meats out there than ground beef? That isn't pet food?

And some random nonsensical anecdotes about food:

* One time I tried eating two pounds of ground beef a day. About a month and a half later my heart kind of hurt for some reason.

* The upper limit of liver an average person can consume in a sustained manner is around three or four slices a week apparantly. Vitamin A toxicity is poo.

at 2.99 per gallon, i have yet to find a better protein bang for the buck ($0.023/gram protein) than milk.

scout around for fast food deals. burger king has $1 double cheeseburgers right now. 30 grams protein for $1 aint bad, but at $0.033 per gram protein it stil isn't as good as milk.

The first thought I had was to up your protein intake. Probably the cheapest way to do that is probably with eggs and milk. Eggs can be had for less than $2 per dozen (even cheaper if your local grocery carries those 2.5 dozen cartons) and milk runs around $3 per gallon.

Brian

Agree with milk. $3 for 2500 calories (whole milk) - you're never going to find a better deal than that.

Quote Originally Posted by knox View Post
    Agree with milk. $3 for 2500 calories (whole milk) - you're never going to find a better deal than that.
    If you're strictly talking calories peanut butter is right up there with milk. My 28oz. jar of PB has 4750 calories and cost $3.49.

sunflower seeds are also dense in calories and pretty cheap
    Last edited by stronger; 12-11-2009 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sousa View Post
    If you're strictly talking calories peanut butter is right up there with milk. My 28oz. jar of PB has 4750 calories and cost $3.49.
    Good one. Actually nuts in general are calorically dense. So picking up a bag of your favorites might be another idea. Some kinds of nuts are a bit spendy though.

Brian

Wharehouse stores and butchers should be your friend.

Do not eat out, unless it's crazy burger deal like BK's.

Chicken thighs can be had for less than a $1 per pound, but there are some bones, still an awesome deal.

Not sure where you live, but I know hunters that don't eat all of what they kill, so you might be able to get that cheap.

You could also work on the "Poor" part of the problem. A job, donate sperm, sign up for studies if there is a hospital or college near you.

Eggs are cheap.

starting strength coach development program
    Supermarkets often sell manager's specials on cheaper cuts of beef. If you go late at night, you can often get $2/lb for ground chuck that is about to pass the expiration date. Go right home and cook that shit up into some chili.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast