starting strength gym

Thread: I have a hernia :(

Default I have a hernia :(

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I don't want to post this in the Rippetoe section because he said he won't answer any more hernia questions.

I was doing my 5x5 squat workout a couple of weeks ago and afterward I got a weird cramping feeling near my groin that went away after a couple hours. A couple days ago, I was getting out of my car and I got it again. Now if I do a Valsalva it pops out and I can push it back in.

My friend had a hernia, and he said he couldn't lift for 3 months after the surgery. Is this true? If it is, I'll be very depressed. About how long does it take after the surgery before you can start training heavy again?

What about training with the hernia before the surgery, is that dangerous? I haven't trained this week and I can't even get to the doctor until next week because I'm a college student and I'm in the middle of finals right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerpal View Post
    I don't want to post this in the Rippetoe section because he said he won't answer any more hernia questions.

I was doing my 5x5 squat workout a couple of weeks ago and afterward I got a weird cramping feeling near my groin that went away after a couple hours. A couple days ago, I was getting out of my car and I got it again. Now if I do a Valsalva it pops out and I can push it back in.
    Kerpal,

I had a hearnia back in 1994. So, what you've got sounds like a hernia to me. However, you need to see a doctor...as you know.

My friend had a hernia, and he said he couldn't lift for 3 months after the surgery. Is this true? If it is, I'll be very depressed. About how long does it take after the surgery before you can start training heavy again?
    It depends on what kind of hearnia you have. My hernia required surgery. They had to put "mesh" in to reinforce it.

Cutting you up means that it's going to take at least 6 weeks before you do anything. It took me about a year to get back to where I was and move forward.

I now lift more after my surgery than I did prior to my surgery. So, the take home message is "Be patient"...remember the Turtle won the race, not the rabbit.

A friend of mine had Laparoscopic hearnia surgery, less invasive...faster recovery. So, he came back much faster.

What about training with the hernia before the surgery, is that dangerous? I haven't trained this week and I can't even get to the doctor until next week because I'm a college student and I'm in the middle of finals right now.
    If you continue to train, tie a bucket around you waist. That way if your guts fall out, you've got them all nice and neat in the bucket. Ok, bad joke...but you get my drift.

Continueing to train can cause more damage. So, DON"T do it.

The good news is that since you are fairly young, you should recovery much faster than and older person, like me.

Kenny Croxdale

Kerpal, no it is not true. You heal very fast from this sort of surgery and should be back to normal within 3 weeks.

Search Rip's Q&A about it because he discusses it there.

Hi Kerpal,

the three weeks indicated by juicysweet seem a bit optimistic to me, but I dont' think you will have to wait one year either.
    I got hernia some years ago, and got a mesh inserted in my abdomen to solve the problem. I remember going back swimming after about ten days, but I could not do much at all. I found that the biggest problem was that the skin around the cut where they operated was really tight. And sore.
    When walking, I could feel the whole lower abdomen straining and pulling at every stride.
    It was not painful, but it just felt hard, swollen.

My feeling is that you will be able to go back to weight training with a free mind only once you have got some elasiticity back in your abdomen, and the soreness will have subsided. And that might take a few weeks.

But the good thing is, you will get over it completely, and the few weeks of missed training will very soon fade in the distance. Get well soon.

IPB

bit optimistic to me
    You may think so, but it wasn't made up shit. Case study, my friend.

Most people way baby everything. It costs them training time and function.

In the case of hernia repair the mesh is integrated very quickly and the discomfort is pain, not injury/re-injury related. This means you can train and make things heal faster and more correctly if you just get in there and get busy.
    Last edited by juicysweet; 12-15-2009 at 02:00 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by juicysweet View Post
    You may think so, but it wasn't made up shit.
    sorry if I gave the wrong impression, I didnt' want to imply you were talking bull.
    I should have explained better that in my case, after three weeks the pain and soreness around the mesh insertion point were still too great to allow any intense physical activity, especially one that would involve a lot of bending around the groin (Like a squat).
    I should have made clear that that was a report based on a single case study, that is myself.

Apologies for any offence caused.

IPB

starting strength coach development program
    No offense. You extra nice people freak me out.

Note that pulling was done, not squats (for reasons other than the hernia repair), but consider that presses involve a lot of ab work and stretching across the area. Good for it.

operation: 7/9
    start back: 7/19

7/19: speed sets, bench 185 x 3 x 10
    7/20: deadlift, 225 x 1 x 50 (one every 30 sec)
    7/22: press, 135 x 7 x 2 and 5 x 3
    chin x 14
    7/23: halting dl, 225 x 10, 255 x 10, 275 x 10
    7/26: like 7/19 + some assistance work
    7/27: 275 x 1 x 30 (one lift every 30 s)
    7/29: press 150 x 5 x 5
    fat bar chins +25# x 8 and 6 reps
    7/30: rack pull x 275 x 5 x 2
    8/2: like 7/19
    8/3: deadlift 315 x 1 x 15, one every 30 s
    8/5: press 155 x 5
    chin x 16