starting strength gym

Thread: What do you guys think about this gym?

Default What do you guys think about this gym?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Right now I practice in a "nice" gym. Here are some pro's:
    - Has a power rack, bench press, and space for deadlifting.
    - Brand new facility with brand new equipment.
    - Pool, locker rooms, showers.
    - Only $35 a month and no contract

Here are some of the cons:
    - It is in a building shared with the Senior Center. So yup, you guessed it. Old people abound.
    - With old people comes an awkward silence and even more awkward stares when I do anything they aren't familiar with.
    - Half the gym is treadmills, ellipticals, bikes and handbikes(which are actually kinda cool). But half the gym!? Yeah, like I said, old people.
    - I've never used the pool. Not even once.
    - I have to see really old wrinkled penises every time I go to the locker room.
    - The "personal trainers"... Seriously. I've never seen such wasted space in my life.
    - They have three huge flat panels playing stupid shit like Nancy Grace all the time.
    - They aren't open 24 hours.

So I was looking around today because there used to be a small gym near here that was open 24 hours and seemed to be more "hardcore" or "underground", if you will. I took a tour of the small gym about 5 years ago(I was around 18) and got that gritty, dirty vibe from it. You know, it smelled like chalk, sweat, and iron. I got the impression it was more for people who were really into getting bigger and stronger. That wasn't what I was looking for at the time. Stupid.

Well it closed down a while back and I hadn't heard anything about it in a long while. I was doing some random searches on google and it popped up again. It appears to be under new ownership. It seems to have been cleaned up a bit, but looks essentially the same.

Here are some pro's:
    - 24 hours a day. Awesome.
    - I can see a squat rack and bench press from the pictures. Not sure about deadlifting space.
    - Seems to be more of a strength oriented gym and I wouldn't expect to see any douche bags with phauxhawks and fingerless gloves working out there.
    - $25 A MONTH WITH NO CONTRACT! Only $40 for me AND my wife!
    - No old balls to look at.
    - No old penises to look at.
    - I don't have to hear that stupid bitch Nancy Grace while i'm trying to concentrate on my lifting.

Some con's:
    - Not many amenities when compared to my current gym.
    - No staff most of the time. That means no help if I get my skinny ass trapped under a barbell.
    - Not 100% sure there is enough space for deadlifts. This is the dealbreaker.

Here's the link to the website. Let me know what you guys think.
    http://24hourbarbellclub.com/index.html

"Old people, although slow and dangerous behind the wheel, can really serve a purpose. Now, don't you go dyin' on me"

The gym in that link looks fine to me...two racks...but you'll probably have less trouble competing for the rack if you hang out with the geris.

the gym i go to during the winter is real big on silver sneakers program. my gym is 3/4 chrome and fern equipment -has 2 cages and the wall of dumbells and kb's. i never use the locker room-if igotta go thru to use bathroom-eyes to the floor-dont need to be more damaged then already am.

i'm self employed so i tend to use a 11-2 timeframe as its the least crowded and i know for a fact its all blue haired women and chrome domes which means my corner of the universe is empty-cage and squat racks and hammer strength equip all mine.

My advice is if your fine with the price and it has what you use and there's no availability issues-A-OK in my book.

Now if your looking to be trained by a specific person that's a different story. it becomes an education issue.

Deadlifts can be performed in a power rack... Of course, this is in bad taste if anyone's waiting to use it, but it is a viable space. Two things to consider are the drive to either gym and whether your wife would use the new gym. If neither of these are problematic, the new place sounds so much better.

As far as the geriatrics go, I work out at the Y... let me tell you what I saw the other day...

Why don't you just ask for a tour of the second place? I know I always do before I sign up for a gym.

Am I missing something here, or is there some sort of slant against older folks? I mean, I'm only 43, but I plan to be old someday, and maybe (hopefully) still working out at some level. Just tryin' to clear the air.

tim

Quote Originally Posted by JCavin View Post
    - I have to see really old wrinkled penises every time I go to the locker room.

- No old balls to look at.
    - No old penises to look at.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Lofton View Post
    Am I missing something here, or is there some sort of slant against older folks? I mean, I'm only 43, but I plan to be old someday, and maybe (hopefully) still working out at some level. Just tryin' to clear the air.

tim
    Actually, it's more like i'm the one that doesn't belong, lol.

Anyhow, i'll be getting a tour of the other gym on Monday. I'll let you know how it turns out.