starting strength gym

Thread: Where To Train

Default Where To Train

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Looks like I'll be in Central Florida again for a few months. I'll be in the vicinity of Orlando Barbell which is home to a powerlifting team that includes the amazing Brian Schwab. 24-hour access for members and only $35/month. Sweet.

I'll eventually have to come back to Baltimore, however. I just let my globo gym membership expire, but I'm taking time off before my meet anyway. I bought an ol' skewl York rack (looks like the ones pictured in SS, but narrower) and a bunch of 45-lb plates, but I never got around to ordering a barbell. Now I'm moving and this stuff will be going into storage here. I used this place when I first moved from New York over a year ago. The building is old and solid and you get a lot of space for the money. I was thinking of leaving the iron in the room and just training there. There's enough space for it and the building is the sort of prewar monster meant to withstand cannon fire. Really ideal for lifting. Cheaper than a gym with a bunch of amenities I'll never use would be. No distractions. Just a concrete bunker, the rack, barbell and weights.

Cons? Well it's a 20-minute walk plus from my office and apartment and it's on the OTHER side of the tracks. I have to walk past some projects and a bit o' the 'hood to get to it. And it closes at 5 pm every day. I make my own work hours so that last part won't really be a problem. It's having to walk through the sketchy neighborhood that really worries me.

As long as your dick is bigger than all of theirs', you should be fine.

Seriously, there is bound to be an okay time of day to go. Find out that time and go then. Or get a cheap bike motorcycle/dirtbike to get there?

Observations:

1. We're all different, but working out with or around other people (for some of us) can be an aid in training.

2. Old concrete buildings used for storage may not have good temperature regulation--which could especially be an issue when squatting in the summertime.

3. There must be some reason(s) you stopped using the old building in the first place.

Default Training Conditions

Go to the video store (they should already be in your entertainment center) and purchase Rocky 1 through 4, skip 5 and only buy six for sentimental reasons. Rocky 1: Punching Meat, chasing chickens. Less than Ideal but effective. In Rocky 3: Note- Apollo Creed Taking him to the "Tough" Gym. Scarier than any hood I've seen..
    In Rocky 4: Siberian Winter training, Not exactly a temperature controlled setting.....

Good luck Gary. You will find what it is you're looking for here....

Thanks, all. I never actually used to storage space to train; I just stored stuff there for a few months.

I may end up training at home when I return to Baltimore in the spring. I got a place big enough and private enough for it. I have a black iron York power rack in the corner of my bedroom's den area. I have a ton of closet space and the weights are easily stored there. I just need to order a good barbell and rubber mat sections and I should be good to go. One's apartment isn't necessarily ideal for training, particularly deadlifts, but I think I can make this work.

starting strength coach development program
    Where in Baltimore are you?

I can't remember - do you have a car?

If you make your own hours, you and I should talk when you get back.