starting strength gym
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Cmanuel's 531 Log for USAPL Raw Competition

Default Cmanuel's 531 Log for USAPL Raw Competition

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey guys. I keep a training log over at wannabebig.com, but since I have to credit SS with sparking my training passion, I'll keep one here too.

I consider myself somewhere between intermediate and advanced. I am currently 185 lbs and compete in USAPL unequipped powerlifting in the 181 class. My best meet lifts currently are S-385 with belt only, Paused bench - 286, and belt only deadlift of 501. My best gym lifts are 406 belt only squat, 275 paused bench (dont know my touch and go bench, i dont train it as 1 rep max), and 535 Deadlift.

I began training about 5 years ago, doing random crap from a bodybuilding magazine. I was upset with my inability to get stronger, so A friend suggest starting strength. I lost my SS Log a long time ago during a move, but my progression was as follows:
    SS--->Texas Method--->Madcow Intermediate--->Wendler 5-3-1.

I have been on 531 for about 5 months now and have made excellent gains.

Off to the gym I go!
    Last edited by stef; 01-07-2010 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Changing Title

Nice numbers! Can you estimate what your lifts were as you transitioned from SS to TM and from TM to Madcow? I know it's different for everyone, but as a more novice lifter, it's always interesting to see how far people can stretch their linear progression before changing things up.

531 - Cycle 1 Week 1 - Deadlift

Hamstrings were a bit sore from squats this week, thats why you see my back taking over during the latter parts of my top set of DL.

Deadlift
    320x5
    370x5
    415x9

6" box deadlift into 15 rep shrugs
    315x3 sets

Speed Pulls off 6" box
    5 singles of 315

3x10 back raises on roman chair

vid from tonight
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze7mg7nzzvI
    Youtube didnt like my music so i had to switch it to something crappy
    Last edited by Cmanuel; 12-13-2009 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strato View Post
    Nice numbers! Can you estimate what your lifts were as you transitioned from SS to TM and from TM to Madcow? I know it's different for everyone, but as a more novice lifter, it's always interesting to see how far people can stretch their linear progression before changing things up.
    Its been so long... I dont even remember to be honest. I will try to find some of my logbooks sitting around and see if I can dig anything up. I am definitely much, much stronger than where I was a few years ago thats for sure

I do remember i was on SS for about 3 months (had a base built up somewhat), TM for ~1month and madcow for two cycles, one 8 week and another 6 week.

Thanks for stopping by!

CManuel, glad to meet another USAPL lifter on the forum. I compete raw and geared out of Baltimore, MD. Look forward to keeping up with your log. When's your next meet, and is it safe to assume you're doing Raw Nationals this year since it's in Denver?

Quote Originally Posted by K.Diesel View Post
    CManuel, glad to meet another USAPL lifter on the forum. I compete raw and geared out of Baltimore, MD. Look forward to keeping up with your log. When's your next meet, and is it safe to assume you're doing Raw Nationals this year since it's in Denver?
    Hey man nice to chat with you!

Yeah I just competed in my first USAPL meet this past weekend. Prior to this, I had only competed in 2 unequipped push/pulls. Dont even remember the feds to be honest. I was so impressed by the USAPL meet in Denver that I decided I will focus primarily on their meets. It was very well ran, I was done lifting in about 3 hours, and the guys that put it on (rocky mountain lifting club) were very willing to help out a new guy.

My next meet will be in March. It will be another USAPL meet in denver. Yep i'll be doing the USAPL raw nationals with a couple friends of mine. Hopefully I'll be a solid 181 competitor nearing a 1250 total by that time

Keep in touch, I'll sub to your log and we can share input/motivation.
    -CM

SS--->Texas Method--->Madcow Intermediate--->Wendler 5-3-1.
    I am glad to see that this progression worked well for you. I am starting to transition to TM for my pressing movements, and I am thinking about doing 5-3-1 after that. About how long did you spend on TM?

Quote Originally Posted by Platus View Post
    I am glad to see that this progression worked well for you. I am starting to transition to TM for my pressing movements, and I am thinking about doing 5-3-1 after that. About how long did you spend on TM?
    I wasn't on TM for more than a month. I was at a point where I wasn't comfortable having to think about what to do for my workouts, I was more into cookie cutter routines, which is really why I switched to madcow.

I would not do 531 until you are absolutely sure you have exhausted any possible weekly linear strength gains.

I would not do 531 until you are absolutely sure you have exhausted any possible weekly linear strength gains.
    Thanks for the info. I asked about time on TM because I was curious about how long it took for you to exhaust your linear progression. I don't think I'd be ready to start 531 until a year or more from now, but it looks like a good way to transition into advanced programming.

starting strength coach development program
    531 - Cycle 2 - Week 2 - Squats (I've been screwing this up, its my 2nd cycle in this progression according to my .xls file) Really its more like my 6th or 7th, but I reset after I had the flu a couple months back.

So a little story for you guys. Last night i was coming back from the office at about 8p. I ride my bike to school since its so convenient. Anyways, on my way back i nailed a patch of ice and busted my ass HARD. Both knees are bruised but the right knee is especially F'ed. Kept Ice on it all day and the swelling went down a little. Now its starting to turn funky purple/yellow colors haha. Didnt bother me too much on squats tonight though...

Anyways onto tonights workout.

Squats (all sub parallel training for USAPL depth) Work sets only
    265x3
    305x3
    340x5

Zercher Squats (first time doing these in a while. Decided on these instead of my usual good mornings)
    135x10x2 sets
    185x10x2 sets
    225x5

bodyweight GHRs
    3 sets of 10
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Comments:
    So I was in the student center gym again for squats. God I hate this place. As soon as I started working up to heavy sets (260+) some kid across from me I guess felt the need to show he could do it too, so he loaded 335 and proced to 1/8th squat the hell out of it. Kinda irritated me. I dont know if he was trying to man up or what, but I have 10928409825098 times more respect for someone that squats 100 lbs at good depth vs. someone that quarter squats a bajillion pounds. Sigh.

Good workout though. Zerchers are godamn brutal. I forgot how painful they are in the crook of your arm. I have some serious bruises now from it. Awesome!

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast