starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Good afternoon,

I would like to submit my deadlift for comments and ideas. I injured my back about a month ago trying with 275Lb, and I'm now working back to that level, carefully.
    Still on novice progression, but not for long now, having reset at least once on all lifts.
    To be honest, I am moderately happy with the lift, but other opinions will confirm whether this is a correct impression, or I am simply being delusional.
    Thanks in advance for your time,

IPB

Video: http://vimeo.com/8168739

Last three reps look spot-on, first two reps too much of you is behind the bar. Also, this is just a hunch, but are you breathing out at the top?

-Stacey

Looks pretty solid. Flat back, staying tight throughout the pull, big breath before pulling, driving through heels (look at your toes wink up, a sign you are driving through heels).

On your ascent, notice how the bar path is vertical but on the descent its not quite vertical (though its not really as bad as I've seen). Looks like you barely slide it down your knees/quads on the way down, resulting in a non vertical descent. Something to think about.

Side note: Wheres everyone at? Looks like a dead gym.

Hi Stacey,

Quote Originally Posted by nisora33 View Post
    Last three reps look spot-on, first two reps too much of you is behind the bar. Also, this is just a hunch, but are you breathing out at the top?

-Stacey
    would you care to expand a bit your remark about too much of me being behind the bar ? which landmarks do you look at to make this observation ?

Re: breathing at the top.
    I try not to, but sometimes I do let out some air, and occasionally I let out a lot of air.

Re: CManuel.
    the gym is very close to the City, in London, and the City is pretty empty on Saturday mornings.

Thanks a lot,

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    Hi Stacey,

would you care to expand a bit your remark about too much of me being behind the bar ? which landmarks do you look at to make this observation ?

Re: breathing at the top.
    I try not to, but sometimes I do let out some air, and occasionally I let out a lot of air.
    I was referring to the start position of your deadlift. On the first two reps, two much of your body was behind the bar. Hips were too low, shoulder blades were positioned too far backward away from the bar. You were actually leaning all the way back on your heels, leaving little to no pressure elsewhere along the bottom of the foot.

All of your weight should not be in your heel. There's a reason Rip spends so much time discussing the midfoot. Why would you want the weight to be centered over the midfoot during your squat but not your deadlift? You wouldn't. Distribute the weight over the MIDFOOT. Or you can also just think about not leaning backward so hard at the start of your deadlift.

Hope that answers your questions.

-S.

I think they look perfect. His scapulae are directly over the bar, hence a slight arm angle.
    Last edited by Nauticus; 12-14-2009 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nauticus View Post
    I think they look perfect. His scapulae are directly over the bar, hence a slight arm angle.
    Look at this:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4046/...7c1699cb_o.jpg

The photo on the left is taken at 00:24 sec in the video. The photo on the right is taken at 00:25 sec.

If you watch the video, you see that his hips rise at the 00:25 sec mark, and THEN the bar comes off of the ground. In other words, his hips moved to the elevation they should have been to begin with--i.e. the most mechanically advantageous position.

And don't give me any "you're just nitpicking his technique" bullshit. Rip spends a whole damn chapter on avoiding improper set-up like the one on the left, so that you can achieve the correct position, the one you see on the right, every time.

By the the third rep, IPC has corrected his bottom position. He has his hips at the proper elevation from then on. If you can't see that, then I can't help you.

-S.

Look at this:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4046/...7c1699cb_o.jpg

The photo on the left is taken at 00:24 sec in the video. The photo on the right is taken at 00:25 sec.

If you watch the video, you see that his hips rise at the 00:25 sec mark, and THEN the bar comes off of the ground. In other words, his hips moved to the elevation they should have been to begin with--i.e. the most mechanically advantageous position.

And don't give me any "you're just nitpicking his technique" bullshit. Rip spends a whole damn chapter on avoiding improper set-up like the one on the left, so that you can achieve the correct position, the one you see on the right, every time.

By the the third rep, IPC has corrected his bottom position. He has his hips at the proper elevation from then on. If you can't see that, then I can't help you.

-S.
    I do see it, but you didn't mention his "hip elevation" problem anywhere else in the thread. Frankly, it looks pretty damned insignificant if the criteria for significant is the bar path changing due to ass elevation problems before the lift (talked about on SS p135, figure 4-32). If his ass had risen almost half a foot before the lift started, I'd say we have a problem. But now that you've mentioned it, I reckon he'll make all reps look more like the final 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Nauticus View Post
    I do see it, but you didn't mention his "hip elevation" problem anywhere else in the thread. Frankly, it looks pretty damned insignificant if the criteria for significant is the bar path changing due to ass elevation problems before the lift (talked about on SS p135, figure 4-32). If his ass had risen almost half a foot before the lift started, I'd say we have a problem. But now that you've mentioned it, I reckon he'll make all reps look more like the final 3.
    Any movement that is unnecessary or sub-optimal has the potential to fuck up the set. The idea behind Rip's going to such pains to ensure the proper set-up, among others, is to make certain each subsequent rep is as identical to the last one as possible. Making each rep identical increases the likelihood of getting all reps. What is so hard to understand about this?

He--and you, me, everybody else--should cut out any unnecessary movement, such as rocking backwards then forwards, hips too low that start to rise, etc. An inconsistent start position is one less thing IPB will have to worry about when shit starts getting fucking heavy and he gets fatigued. And that sounds pretty fucking significant to me.

You're a hard-head fellow, Nauticus. And I'm guessing from your posts that you could use a little more practical experience.

-Stacey

P.S. For the record, IPB, I think you're doing a fantastic job in that vid, all in all.

starting strength coach development program
    Any movement that is unnecessary or sub-optimal has the potential to fuck up the set. The idea behind Rip's going to such pains to ensure the proper set-up, among others, is to make certain each subsequent rep is as identical to the last one as possible. Making each rep identical increases the likelihood of getting all reps. What is so hard to understand about this?

He--and you, me, everybody else--should cut out any unnecessary movement, such as rocking backwards then forwards, hips too low that start to rise, etc. An inconsistent start position is one less thing IPB will have to worry about when shit starts getting fucking heavy and he gets fatigued. And that sounds pretty fucking significant to me.

You're a hard-head fellow, Nauticus. And I'm guessing from your posts that you could use a little more practical experience.

-Stacey

P.S. For the record, IPB, I think you're doing a fantastic job in that vid, all in all.
    Baaaah, fine. He needs to stop raising his ass. You're probably right about the lack of practical experience. I've never experienced the ass elevation problem myself, so I probably shouldn't be saying it's insignificant. Aside from that, though, it's a great goddamned lift.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast