starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strength progress over the years.

Default Strength progress over the years.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all,

I'm just putting this out there, especially for the others who don't have coaches.

I began stringlifts 5x5 2 years ago, being completekt untrained. I made some progress in the 7 weeks or so, but didn't make much progress, since I was still learning to squat etc.

After that, did crossfit, then, before Christmas last year, I took up SS. I re-learnt the squat, but still sucked at it. I pushed my squat from about 85kg to 110kg over a few months. My technique kept holding me back, despite reading the book and watching videos on these forums.

Went back to crossfit, lost most of my strength. Now, I've been back on SS for about 2 months, after doing MEBB and then WFCF for a few weeks or so each. This time, I've pushed my squat up to 135kg (from back down at 90kg or so), and made great gains everywhere else. Though, again, my technique has meant I had to reset a couple of times, due to knee caving that I wasn't aware of and other gear issues.

Now, I'm generally happy with my technique. But I'm frustrated at the lack of progress I've made over all the time I've put into SS. Mainly because I'm so uncoordinated that it took me a long time to learn to squat. Even though my squats look good, and Rip has seen them, my knees still ache.

Anyway, not sure what your 'real life' experiences are without a coach. I'm interested to hear. I'm interested to hear if you're even interested in my experience, or if it has encouraged any of you who are similarly uncoordinated.

(I should add that I've gained 30kg since this time last year - and it seems like mostly muscle. So that's encouraging. And my other lifts have progressed nicely, albeit more slowly than I'd like. I've never done well as sports, so I shouldn't be suprised!)

I am 50. 6' and around 200 pounds now (190 when I started). I started SS just over a year ago and feel that I made fairly good progress. I did have several minor injuries and one significant adductor tear that slowed me down along the way.

Here are my beginning vs peak 5RM numbers (in pounds). I say peak because I am just getting over the adductor tear and another medical procedure that has kept me for giving my best effort for about 2 months, so I am doing a major reset.

Squat 110 - 245
    Bench 110 - 202.5
    Deadlift 100 - 310
    Press 100 - 135
    Clean 110 - 150

I'm kind of in the same boat tescott. Been on SS since August and have been very pleased with the strength progression. having said that, technique troubles in the squat have prevented me from being where i should be on that exercise. a major reset (75 pounds) and an injury (mild oblique tear) I attribute soley to faulty technique.

last month i asked KSC on the boards here to e-coach me. nothing is a replacement for a good coach being there watching you, but having virtually unlimited video critique of form by a guy who knows what he is talking about has been tremendously helpful.

here are starting, current and maximum worksets

squat
    185/310/320

deadlift
    225/385/385

press
    95/147.5/147.5

bench
    155/245/245

power clean
    135/165/180

5' 10.5" 39 yo started at 205 pounds and presently 260 (yikes!)

I also had some setbacks due to form problems with my squat. I have no doubt that I would have made much faster progress with coaching, but I am happy with my progress nonetheless. Here are the results so far:

BW: 155-->190 (give or take a couple pounds)
    Height: 5'11"

Squat: 140 (3x5) -->280 (3x5)
    Press: 110 (3x5) --> 145 (3x5) / 162 (single)
    Bench: 135 (3x5) --> 195 (3x5)
    Power Clean: 120 (5x3) --> 165 (single - my form is lousy)
    Snatch: 95 (5x3) --> 105 (5x3) / 135 (single)
    Deadlift: 150 (1x5) --> 315 (1x5) / 355 (single w/ straps)

My setbacks have all been self-inflicted. between about December to August 08-09 I didn't lift or was unable to lift due to the country I lived in. After I got back in the gym, my squat was 185x5 (yikes) a week and a few days later, i squatted 285 (which was 20lbs heavier than I'd ever squatted before, IIRC) for a single. I'm currently on the Texas Method for about 6 weeks after running the Madcow/Starr 5x5 and then deciding that TM was better. I'm squatting 305x5x5 for worksets, planning on 335x5 saturday.

Once you have the adaptation, it's going to come back very fast, so as long as you lift, a few layoffs here and there won't be incredibly detrimental. They are hard to deal with though. Not being able to lift makes me restless and feel awful.

I was 170lbs at 5'9 when I got back into it in August, 190 now. 17-18% bodyfat, 20 years old

keep pluggin away
    Last edited by stronger; 12-17-2009 at 10:50 AM.

I think all of you could benefit from two major things. If you know you have problems then save your nickles and dimes. I'm sure your wasting expendable cash somewhere and spend it on some quality coaching. If this is that important to you then getting qualified eyes on you is worth the investment and what you'll learn and take away from even a few hours with a qualified coach is worth it.

#2 and this goes along with the first. Find your weaknesses. Yes form is HUGE but even when form is great we MUST address weaknesses. Weaknesses in muscles and mobility can inhibit proper form when the loads get high enough. Anyone can squat 20% in great perfect form, load shows weakness. The neat thing is we will ALWAYS have weakness, then minute you fix one you by default have another that now needs addressed, This takes time and maturity to work on what you suck at but its how you progress,

step back look at where you fail and why, find the problem or have a qualified coach IF it and Fix the damn thing put the time in.

As far as the OP, you should not be upset about the lack of progress on any program but upset at your lack of sticking to any one thing or goal long enough to deserve progress. You cant expect great gains without sticking to them for years not weeks or months. You have bounced like a ball from CF, to SS, to wfcf, to cf to blaa blaa blaa your lack of dedication and maturity to stick to any one goal does not have you in a place deserving of more progress then you have made.

Not being a dick, just honest

My history is similar to yours OP. I've never had coaching other than a few days here and there in CF Affiliate gyms (higher quality ones mind you, where the coaches have legit background in weightlifting/S&C not just CF level 1).

- Sept 2007 - completely detrained and fat at age 26 (5'10 220#), haven't done any exercise in years, used to play sports as a kid. Took 3 months off drinking and cleaned up diet, started doing random bodybuilding routine, lost about 15#.

- April 2008 - now 205#, found Stronglifts 5x5 and did that. At this point I could squat 205x5, Bench about 145x5, Press 105x5, Deadlift 225x5

- July 2008 - got up to squat 315x5, bench 185x5, Press 130x5, Deadlift 310x5

- August 2008 to December 2008 - switched to Starting Strength but messed around with high bar squats, front squats, didn't progress much. Dec 2008 1RM were Squat 330, Bench 215x5, Press 165, Deadlift 340

- January 2009 to August 2009 - did mainpage CrossFit, at first I maintained strength, actually squatted 335 and pressed 170 in Feb 2009 which were 5# PRs. After that strength fell off a ton. Wake up call was when I failed to low bar back squat 285x3 at a CF gym while travelling in August.

- Sept 2009 to present - Did Justin's CFWF program. Tested 1RM this week. Squat 375, Press 175, Bench 265, deadlift having form issues.

OP I hear you on the form/weakness issues, and as mentioned by Phil, coaching is the absolute best solution. Try to find a legit coach in your area, maybe you have to look for a powerlifting, weightlifting, strongman gym, or maybe there is a legit CF affiliate. The next best thing is to record your workouts with a digital camera. Watch other peoples form check videos and the responses from Rip and you will be able to identify your own issues. Correcting them is the hard part without a coach.

The neat thing is we will ALWAYS have weakness
    I agree that this is neat. It can be frustrating from time to time, but training would be boring if it were not for the ever-evolving challenge it provides.

I will cash in my change jar at the start of the spring and get some expert advice.
    Last edited by Platus; 12-18-2009 at 12:16 PM. Reason: typos

I'm sure your wasting expendable cash somewhere and spend it on some quality coaching.
    Amen. This is really important. I can't speak highly enough of Rip's seminars. I went to one over a year and a half ago and it was worth every damn penny.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    Amen. This is really important. I can't speak highly enough of Rip's seminars. I went to one over a year and a half ago and it was worth every damn penny.
    Maybe if enough of us Aussie's get together we can convince Rip to come down under.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast