starting strength gym

Thread: novice help

Default novice help

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm just starting the SS novice program, with the chin ups, pull ups, and back extensions. I'm not doing power cleans, because of lack of proper flooring to be able to handle dropping weights, and my age, I'm 57. Would you recommended replacing them with, back extensions, dead lifts, or nothing.? The book does not give rep and sets for the back extensions, except in the novice work out example. What is the normal rep sets, and when do I add weight to them?

welcome elpo.

I wouldn't let the lack of proper flooring deter you from power cleans. many of us do power cleans without bumpers and thus without dropping the weights. it's a great exercise.

regarding assistance work, 3 x 10-15 is traditionally used. and there is not a huge emphasis on weekly progression with these lifts as they are accessory work. If it were me, I'd probably start with a weight (or no weight) where i could do three sets of 10. gradually move reps up with that weight to 3 sets of 15. then add weight to where you can do 3 x 10. rinse and repeat.

i am sure others will chime in with their accessory programming.

good luck.

Hi
    You could replace them with D/Ls but I found that when I was starting out on the original SS program the weeks where I D/L'd twice wiped me out. I had better luck with the novice program in PP1 where if I remember correctly at the beginning D/Ls are once a week before cleans are added.

Squat
    Bench/Press
    Chins

Squat
    Press/Bench
    D/L

Squat
    Bench/Press
    Pull ups

It works nicely IMO

In SS 2nd edition Rip advises if you don't on access to bumpers that you may consider doing barbell rows instead . He does go on to say that by doing this you are giving up the the element of power off the floor which would translate better to the deadlift. But at age 57 I assume you are not training to obtain the power benefit for the purpose of competing in sports . If I was you I would do the rows .. something like this ..
    A Squat, Press, Deadlift B Squat, Bench, BB row Then after a month or so, go to

Guess the edit didn't work : As I was saying after a month of the above you could then work in chins & back ext . Something like this : A Squat, Press , DL / BB row ( Alt) and B Squat, Bench, Chins, Back Ext ---

I think I may try PC. The other problem with them is the jump. My house is an old farm house, and when I jump the whole house rattles. I also have problems with the clean. I'm either, abnormally out of proportion, long forearm , or I lack flexibility in my wrist, or both, because I can not rest the bar on my deltoids, with out my elbows, pointed almost straight down, not out.

If I either find it to much, for the house, or myself to do PC. I'll give the rows, a try, or just add the back extension, in the PC place. I feel Dead lifts, may be to much. I seem to injuring my self with dead lifts. Not bad, but small pulls, or strains, the just nag. I thank I need the longer rests

If the regular deadlift is giving you trouble, cleans will probably not take you to a happy place. Sounds like you might need to work on mastery of the DL - light DL's are probably the best bastardized replacement for the clean.

Personally, I'm going to try to fill that void (not doing power cleans) with grip work. It seems like it might be very practical assistance work.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    In SS 2nd edition Rip advises if you don't on access to bumpers that you may consider doing barbell rows instead.
    He also said on The Internets:

"My opinion about barbell rows is as follows: fuck barbell rows. Really. Fuck them. Stop wasting time worrying about barbell rows and get your deadlift up to 500. By then you'll have your own opinion and you won't have to worry about mine."
    Last edited by BryanM; 12-17-2009 at 04:08 PM.

I know how Ripp feels about rows. I can use some upper back work though. I have played with PC, and they do not hurt me like DL. I always seem to do the damage to myself, with DL's, on the last and heaviest set. a week ago I strained my right butt cheek muscle, Squat and PC do not seem to aggravate it.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanM View Post
    If the regular deadlift is giving you trouble, cleans will probably not take you to a happy place. Sounds like you might need to work on mastery of the DL - light DL's are probably the best bastardized replacement for the clean.

Personally, I'm going to try to fill that void (not doing power cleans) with grip work. It seems like it might be very practical assistance work.

He also said on The Internets:

"My opinion about barbell rows is as follows: fuck barbell rows. Really. Fuck them. Stop wasting time worrying about barbell rows and get your deadlift up to 500. By then you'll have your own opinion and you won't have to worry about mine."
    Nobody said anything about doing away with the DL . And as far as Rip not liking rows I guess we need a 3rd edition of SS ! !

starting strength coach development program
    Try a wider grip while your flexibility improves... It will help you get your elbows up
    Quote Originally Posted by elpo View Post
    I think I may try PC. The other problem with them is the jump. My house is an old farm house, and when I jump the whole house rattles. I also have problems with the clean. I'm either, abnormally out of proportion, long forearm , or I lack flexibility in my wrist, or both, because I can not rest the bar on my deltoids, with out my elbows, pointed almost straight down, not out.

If I either find it to much, for the house, or myself to do PC. I'll give the rows, a try, or just add the back extension, in the PC place. I feel Dead lifts, may be to much. I seem to injuring my self with dead lifts. Not bad, but small pulls, or strains, the just nag. I thank I need the longer rests