starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two Stubborn Pounds...I'm Getting Desperate

Default Two Stubborn Pounds...I'm Getting Desperate

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am still just above the 165.3 lb limit for my old weight class. I have been reducing carbs and loading water and the lowest I can get is 167.5. Just two pounds between me and new raw state records. I am getting a little desperate. I've been debating with myself and anyone who'd listen about whether it's worth it to sweat the weight off and take a hit in performance. Now I'm thinking it is. It's the States and I have a decent chance of winning the 75 kilo class even as a raw lifter (I know at least two of the other 75k open lifters on the roster compete raw). Even if I lose a few pounds off my squat, I'm still stronger by a big enough margin that I'll total a bit more than I did last time.

New raw state records and a possible class win? I'd say it's worth it. Going to test how much I can sweat off tonight. Based on results I'll do it again the hours before the meet.

Meet scales always under-weigh home scales.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Gibson View Post
    I am still just above the 165.3 lb limit for my old weight class. I have been reducing carbs and loading water and the lowest I can get is 167.5. Just two pounds between me and new raw state records. I am getting a little desperate. I've been debating with myself and anyone who'd listen about whether it's worth it to sweat the weight off and take a hit in performance. Now I'm thinking it is. It's the States and I have a decent chance of winning the 75 kilo class even as a raw lifter (I know at least two of the other 75k open lifters on the roster compete raw). Even if I lose a few pounds off my squat, I'm still stronger by a big enough margin that I'll total a bit more than I did last time.

New raw state records and a possible class win? I'd say it's worth it. Going to test how much I can sweat off tonight. Based on results I'll do it again the hours before the meet.
    To the man who self-drained his knee for months and months, I say "You'll be just fine."

-Stacey
    Last edited by nisora33; 12-17-2009 at 02:36 PM. Reason: quoted the wrong person

You should be able to find something in this article to help you drop the last two pounds.

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog...to-cut-weight/

take a big poo. worth at least 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    This was my first thought too. A difference of only two pounds could easily be made up in the error between various scales. How confident are you in the accuracy of your scale, vs the scale that you'll be weighed on at the meet?

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    Always??

Not something I would rely on personally.

Quote Originally Posted by George Noble View Post
    Always??

Not something I would rely on personally.
    ALWAYS.

But sometimes not.

I think he's doing a USAPL meet so any radical cutting is not advised (2hr weigh in). Can't take diuretics because they are banned and actively test for it.

This article has a few tricks and is written toward the 2hr weigh in. You can try eating a couple of lemons, they are naturally diuretic.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    I think he's doing a USAPL meet so any radical cutting is not advised (2hr weigh in). Can't take diuretics because they are banned and actively test for it.
    What about coffee?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast