starting strength gym
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: question about muscle growth

Default question about muscle growth

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I currently weigh 145 at 5 ft 4inch. i am approaching the 185-200lbs territory with my anchor lifts of squats and DL. I eat 2550 calories so my weight hasnt been growing predictably . ex: gain 5 lose 3. i find it very difficult to stuff my face am drinking whole milk every meal roughly 1/2 gallon per day.

My question is as i reach 1.3 to 1.5x BW in these lifts will my body kick in and grow? i havent grown much just got denser and thicker. i'm just here waiting to explode into muscular definition. at what point does muscle mass doing 5x5 routine kick in 2x BW 3x BW?

Your problem isn't the weight your not lifting, but the food your not eating. And who's doing a 5x5?

Do you happen to post on bb.com? This sounds like that type of question.

classic strength routine used by reg park and many others.

shouldnt more of load increase size? because body has to adapt to the new stress. so when does the majority of growth kick in? i know to continue to grow calories need to be increased but wouldnt adaption kick in this growth and thus allow me to consume more?

As your weight goes up, so does the calorie surplus needed to gain weight.

Eating enough to grow is not and, for many people never will be, easy. You're going to have to force yourself to eat big to get big. You won't just magically start to eat more all of a sudden.

Seriously. Training is the easy part. It's getting enough rest and food in you that's the hard part.

Quote Originally Posted by StrongIslander,NY View Post
    ...shouldnt more of load increase size? because body has to adapt to the new stress. so when does the majority of growth kick in?
    Yes, it kicks in when you start eating double what you're eating now.

i know to continue to grow calories need to be increased...
    So... increase your calorie consumption...

Quote Originally Posted by StrongIslander,NY View Post
    I currently weigh 145 at 5 ft 4inch. i am approaching the 185-200lbs territory with my anchor lifts of squats and DL. I eat 2550 calories so my weight hasnt been growing predictably . ex: gain 5 lose 3. i find it very difficult to stuff my face am drinking whole milk every meal roughly 1/2 gallon per day.

My question is as i reach 1.3 to 1.5x BW in these lifts will my body kick in and grow? i havent grown much just got denser and thicker. i'm just here waiting to explode into muscular definition. at what point does muscle mass doing 5x5 routine kick in 2x BW 3x BW?

You CANNOT grow unless you're putting the energy inside you to make that happen.

It's the 2nd law of thermodynamics, okay? Any system (in this case, your body) will be in equilibrium if the energy flowing in equals the amount going out. A system will decrease in size if the energy going out is greater than that which is flowing in. Lastly, and most importantly for you, a system (again in this case your body) cannot grow in size unless the energy coming in is greater than the energy flowing out.

You're not growing because you're not eating enough. End of fucking story.

Unfortunately for all of us, the conditions which are responsible for muscle growth are the same ones that are responsible for the accumulation of fat: overfeeding. Tough shit, that's how it is. Now, go eat and don't post back about gaining size again until you've done what you know you need to.

-Stacey
    Last edited by nisora33; 12-17-2009 at 09:58 PM. Reason: verified that op is not a troll

Rip has said to make it your job to eat three huge meals a day (meat should be included, and lots of it) supplemented with a gallon of whole milk. He also advises visiting an all-you-can-eat buffet once a week and trying to close it down. Do this. No excuses.

-S.

starting strength coach development program
    2500 calories is not enough. I was consuming that many calories per day, I would be losing weight . . . .

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast