starting strength gym

Thread: Calling all strength nuts: Help me change my university gym's weight facilities!!!!

Default Calling all strength nuts: Help me change my university gym's weight facilities!!!!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi guys, going to need some help from the strength community.

Here's the low down... I'm a graduate student at Colorado State university. The student rec center here is undergoing a massive 32 million dollar renovation to be completed at the end of spring semester 2010. While the gym has plenty of benches, 4 decent power racks, 1 glute ham raise, and other essential strength equipment that i use, there are some issues that I have with the gym. There is no platform, no bumper plates, all plates are hex plates (bad for deadlifting), and chalk is frowned upon (I bring my own but they know that I clean up after myself).

I'm trying to bring about some change to the weight facilities. If you look at this website, you will see that they are adding a ton of shit, but are really vague about what additions are being made to the weight facilities.

I am going to contact the director of operations for the facility and make recommendations for equipment additions. If it were your gym, what would you request? I will be asking for bumper plates, non hex cast plates, platforms, and squat stands.

I'm basically wanting input from you guys to see if I'm missing anything. I am going to base my argument for the equipment on 2 points:
    1. Less than $6,000 worth of stuff is very tiny compared to a 32 million dollar renovation
    2. Athletes have access to this equipment in the athletes only gym, so i think its only fair that members of the regular student gym have access to this stuff as well.

Once I get feedback from you guys I will write a draft email and then post here for criticism.

Thanks a ton guys!
    -CM

wouldn't it be nice if you could get this email/letter co-signed by experienced coaches from around the country on this board?

That might give it some weight...

Quote Originally Posted by stronger View Post
    wouldn't it be nice if you could get this email/letter co-signed by experienced coaches from around the country on this board?

That might give it some weight...
    This is going to be a huge uphill battle but I'm going to give it my best...

I would try to get a few of your college coaches on board

I have the same problem here, the university gym only has machines and one olympic bar that is always hugged by some guy that wants to bench press. I have the luck that the my rowing club has better facilities to train. So I don't have to go there anymore. But if you want to make them change the equipment make sure that you emphasize the benefits for the change on their behalve, they won't change anything if you are the only one that wants different stuff. We all know here that it is important but I think those people (the management) are reluctant to change. I saw a rugby player on the site, so a good idea might be trying to subscribe the letter with the recommendation of the coaches from rugby-, football-, lacrosse-, rowing- etc. team then they might be more inclined to listen to your suggestions.

Hope this might give you some ideas

starting strength coach development program
    goddarnit bloodninja