starting strength gym

Thread: New

Red face New

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Folks,
    I have been lurking on here for a week or two, while I was waiting for and reading SS.

I have been "lifting weights" for going on 20 years, mostly crappy bodybuilding type stuff, and only started squatting for real about a year ago when I found a 5x5 program on the internet. (I was scared off squatting by the Globo people when I was young and never really learned).

During the past year, I have been learning proper form privately, from a CrossFit coach, but he seems to have very little interest in helping me with power lifting or Olympic lifting type workouts or improvement in that area, So I have become less and less interested in participating in CrossFit.

I have always been "strong for a girl", but I was never content to sit at one weight, and go through the motions. Even when I was a kid I was constantly trying to add weight to the bar or stack every work out. I do no lack intensity in the gym, but consistency. I get hurt and get in a rut; so I start at zero again.

I did my first SS work out tonight and with a few lingering injuries that Im keeping an eye on, it felt pretty good. I am looking forward to learning and participating here.

Some numbers:
    31yo ,210 lbs.
    1RM
    BP 145
    DL 225
    Press 110

No maxes for these, so I just put the highest recorded lifts during WoDs.
    SQ 155
    P.Clean 95

Welcome to the board, JP.

Sorry to hear about your "coach." That individual probably doesn't feel confident (or competent) enough to teach those lifts to you, and he or she is shying away from them on account of that.

-Stacey

welcome. Let's get strong

Welcome JP. And its great to have some female representation who understand the value of lifting weights.
    My advise, especially since you have injuries, is to thoroughly read Rip's books and make sure you have proper form. I started getting severe elbow pain when I got to 137kg squats and the reason for the pain was all outlined in SS:BBT.