starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Do You Train?

Default Why Do You Train?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    The other night my wife and I were driving home from work, and I was talking about the next morning’s lifting session (I’m always stoked to lift, aren’t you?). She asked me a question to which I hadn’t given much thought: Do you plan to lift in a competition? While this is an interesting question, the better question is what is my goal for all this lifting? –Why do we want to be strong?

I know some of you compete. I know some of you have been/are in the military. I know some of you use it for our jobs. I read Rip’s story – he started lifting because he got his butt kicked.

I’m still not sure why I train. I didn’t lift when I was in High School or at the University. In fact, I didn’t lift until I started working in an office with a 9-5 job. I didn’t really like the disassociation that office work has with reality. Training is almost like Fight Club: It makes me feel alive. It’s more than lifting: eating, sleeping, rest days - all have additional purpose due to training.

Why did you start lifting?
    So what keeps you training?

First off - I'm a 30-year-old woman. I used to be 235 pounds and dropped to 112 pounds starting when I was 24. I spent that time losing weight either not exercising or just walking. I know, I know...anyway, you can imagine how deconditioned I became. I got sick of being able to wrap my hand around my upper arm like you do with your wrist to gauge body type. I started lifting with a crappy program, didn't become strong, but loved the feeling I got from progressing with crappy exercises. In assessing what I ultimately wanted, to become stronger and therefore less deconditioned, I searched and found glowing recommendations for SS:BBT. I'm still a wuss, but I am getting stronger, a pound or 2 at a time.

I also have ADHD, and I've found exercise can be an excellent treatment for it.

I also am chronically on inhaled steroids for my severe asthma and periodically on prednisone, so lifting is sure to help with my bones.

I started out of concern for my health and, to a lesser extent, concern for my body image.

I keep doing it because I enjoy the challenge of the process

I will probably keep doing it because getting strong has rekindled my interest in sports - so, in the future, I expect strength training will not be just an end in itself.

I started lifting because:
    • I have a desk job and miss being in shape like I was back in high school; I was skinny but fast and well-conditioned
    • I want to look better for my wife
    • I want to be a Real Man™
    • I found CrossFit, liked the general idea, but discovered Rip's stuff before I got started; strength seemed like a good start back on the road to fitness

What keeps me going is that I've found I really like being stronger; it's been good for me physically as well as mentally, and I see absolutely no reason to stop--it's well worth the time, and it's part of my life.

* I missed out on sports as a kid. I come from a family of academics and journalists. God bless them, but I was never prepared for organized sports, and got ignored by coaches and teammates. I remember being a 5 year old kid, sitting on the sidelines in soccer matches, just wishing I would get a chance to play. I was useless.
    * Even though I was extremely undersized, I was always tough. I was a beast at football, and could will myself through an offensive line. My parents pulled me out because they thought I would get hurt.
    * Being strong and good at sports as an adult, gives me a tremendous sense of satisfaction, and lets me make up for something primordial that I missed out on as a kid.
    * As someone diagnosed with ADD, who also suffers from bouts of insomnia, being active gives me the focus to excel in my academic work, without medication.
    * When I am fit, women find me more sexually appealing.
    * Being strong gives me the confidence to know I can win a fight, and the power to avoid one.
    * Progressing in workouts provides a sense of constant accomplishment. There is nothing better for one's self esteem than constantly performing to the best of one' s ability while seeing that ability increase on a daily or weekly basis.
    *On the basketball court (I am very into pick up basketball) and in the weight-room, you often meet fascinating, intelligent people who are serious about self-improvement.
    * In college I worked part time as a mover; while that was no walk in the park, in general, moving very heavy items is fun.
    * I want to have competence at sports to give my children every athletic opportunity they deserve. I'm not going to be one of those selfish pricks who tries to live vicariously through their child, but when my kids reach the age where they want to play organized sports, I am going to be damned sure I am able to teach them how to correctly dribble and shoot a basketball, hit a baseball and handle a soccer ball.

I have always been in pretty good shape but having a desk job and getting older does impact things.

At age 47 my 5th child was born, first son. I realized that I need to get in better shape to do all those guy things with him. To that end I started doing Cross Fit.

I enjoyed the variety of the work outs and my family and friends said I was looking more fit. However, i felt that my strength was way below what I wanted.

Then I discovered Starting Strength and Rip's web site. Been doing it for just over a year now and really enjoy it. Good thing, I had twin girls born last March. I will be needing all the strength I can muster.

Reasons I lift:
    - To get stronger
    - I decided that I was tired of buying shirts that were either too short or too wide
    - I've always been skinny
    - I've always been weak
    - I work in a jail

Things that keep me training:
    - I'm stronger
    - I'm bigger
    - Clothes fit me now
    - It is fun to see how much I can lift every session
    - I have developed stretch marks on my thighs
    - I have no reason not to

Quote Originally Posted by applescruffette View Post
    First off - I'm a 30-year-old woman. I used to be 235 pounds and dropped to 112 pounds starting when I was 24. I spent that time losing weight either not exercising or just walking. I know, I know...anyway, you can imagine how deconditioned I became. I got sick of being able to wrap my hand around my upper arm like you do with your wrist to gauge body type. I started lifting with a crappy program, didn't become strong, but loved the feeling I got from progressing with crappy exercises. In assessing what I ultimately wanted, to become stronger and therefore less deconditioned, I searched and found glowing recommendations for SS:BBT. I'm still a wuss, but I am getting stronger, a pound or 2 at a time.

I also have ADHD, and I've found exercise can be an excellent treatment for it.

I also am chronically on inhaled steroids for my severe asthma and periodically on prednisone, so lifting is sure to help with my bones.
    I could not agree more with this.

I train for one reason only.

To get damn strong.

I dont give two shits how I look without a shirt. As long as I can lift a lot of weight for my size, then im achieving my goals. Get strong, kick ass, chew bubble gum, and take names.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgsolberg View Post
    Why do you train?
    Because my self respect is tied directly to how much I can squat, and my self respect had gone up considerably over the last year.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast