starting strength gym

Thread: Skinny arms

Default Skinny arms

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all... I'm 50 yo, 188 cm, 98kg. I've always been thin (started SS at 83kg - gained 15kg Yay!), but have had reasonably strong lower body (soccer, tennis, etc). So squats/deads are 137/152kg, but press/bench are 55/80.

Do you find that SS is enough to develop arms (and upper body strength) or do you need some assistance lifts to help? Cheers.

I assure you if you get your pressing and chinning strength up your arms will grow

even the DL and squat are going to help full body muscle to be laid on. Your form follows your fuction, concentrate on that performance and you will look the part.

Quote Originally Posted by tennisgod View Post
    Hi all... I'm 50 yo, 188 cm, 98kg. I've always been thin (started SS at 83kg - gained 15kg Yay!), but have had reasonably strong lower body (soccer, tennis, etc). So squats/deads are 137/152kg, but press/bench are 55/80.

Do you find that SS is enough to develop arms (and upper body strength) or do you need some assistance lifts to help? Cheers.
    I've been doing SS for around 12 months and have had several injuries and subsequently have not been able to train as regularly as I would like. My arms have grown almost 2" during that time. Add some chinups every other workout or so if you want to do some assistance exercises. Give it time my friend....

There are 4 areas to consider with regard to arm size: Forearms, Biceps, Triceps, and the Deltoids.

The anterior deltoids and triceps are trained hard during the press and bench press lifts. You will be training a press variation 3 times a week. This will suffice for those two muscle groups.

The biceps are used every time you lift a plate onto a bar, and are especially hit during chin-ups. If you are using the version of Starting Strength with chins/pull-ups instead of cleans, then you will certainly build an exceptional pair of biceps. If not, using chins one day a week will certainly not kill you (though if your progress stalls on the presses, cut them out).

Big upper arms with skinny forearms are for freaks. Luckily, the program can include chins/pull-ups and of course, everyone's favorite lift, Deadlifts. Both necessitate good grip devolopment. In addition, Benching and Pressing are fairly demanding on the forearms to maintain their position.

You'll be fine with the basic program.
    Last edited by Sgsolberg; 12-18-2009 at 04:44 PM.

I think it varies by individual.

I haven't done an "arms" workout in over a year since I started doing SS.

I've gained 15lbs, added 100 lbs to squats and dead maxes, and 50lbs to my presses but my arms simply haven't gotten much larger.

This is ok, since I am focusing purely on strength but I think I'm going to add one day of high volume chins and dips just to build up arm size (and appease my need for vanity.)

However, keep in mind I am making this decision after spending 12 straight months on SS without missing more than 3 workouts. I think someone who is just starting SS should do the program by the book and not worry about arm size.

Add chins. Your arms should grow and the upper back strength will help all your other lifts.

I know of some professional bodybuilders that don't even work arms all year round. That said, they do hammer the chins, rows and dips.

I've always had small arms. Always. I've built up my squat and deadlift to some reasonable numbers and it didn't change much. However, I've never been much cope at chins or dips. To this day I can't do a proper, full chin up and I also can't do very many dips either. This is something I will be focusing on from now on and I'll see what this does for my arm strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgsolberg View Post
    If you are using the version of Starting Strength with chins/pull-ups instead of cleans, then you will certainly build an exceptional pair of biceps.
    Do you mean the ''onus wunsler'' program? I thought that program do include power cleans althernate with DLs?

I'm a 182cm tall, 98 kg cyclist and my best squats/deads are 145/150kg and press/bench are 59/90kg. Been on SS since last spring and rejoined the fight after the season this year. Your numbers seem damn close to mine. I wouldn't worry about it. My arms have grown quite a bit from presses and BP alone. I have no idea how much but I can see my arm outline in my dress shirts now which is kind of cool. Rip recommends chins if you are worried about skinny looking arms. Barbell curls only if you must...it's in the second edition of SS.

starting strength coach development program
    The regular program just makes you big all over man.

I used to have tiny wrists and forearms. It wasn't because they were weak, they were just small. Same with chest.

After squatting, deadlifting, and chinning, they've all grown. In fact, I bought a new cheap watch for work today and I can barely wear it because the strap isn't big enough...