starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Check - 255 x 5

Default Squat Check - 255 x 5

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uk_L4U-PtM

NOTE: I am NOT the guy in the background doing jump... box squats?

I'm not looking down and depth is not good on a few reps. Knees coming forward is a big problem. I've noticed the lower I go, the more knees coming forward affects my lift. This is probably due to a relaxing of my posterior chain to achieve greater depth - notice how the higher reps had no forward knee travel. I've got some weightlifting shoes coming monday, It'll help my depth and hence (hopefully) help me keep tight hammies all the way through.

I hate to admit it, but I've been stuck at around this weight for almost a fucking month. I drank GOMAD the few days before this set and it's amazing how much easier it was. No more skimping on the diet.
    Last edited by Nauticus; 12-18-2009 at 05:06 PM.

It might help to break at the knees at the same time as the hips. Get them out over your toes in the first 1/3rd of the descent, and leave them there until the last 1/3rd of your ascent. This is all in SS. See the TUBOW.

A few of these are a little high. The others are barely to depth. I'd like to see an additional 1-3 inches if your lower back can handle it. I agree with Tescott, that it would probably do you some good if you get your knees forward earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by tescott View Post
    It might help to break at the knees at the same time as the hips. Get them out over your toes in the first 1/3rd of the descent, and leave them there until the last 1/3rd of your ascent. This is all in SS. See the TUBOW.
    I don't think it's that my knees are going too far over my toes, or that they're not getting forward fast enough, it's that they're travelling forward when I begin going back up. This happens when you let the posterior chain loosen.

My thought was that the knees could afford a little more forward movement from the get-go, but then would have to hold steady through the stretch reflex. I find that getting forward early is the key to this for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nauticus View Post
    I don't think it's that my knees are going too far over my toes, or that they're not getting forward fast enough, it's that they're travelling forward when I begin going back up. This happens when you let the posterior chain loosen.
    I don't think its your knees going too far forward either. I think the late forward travel is because they aren't forward enough to begin with. Since I have had a very similar squat to you, and I helped it by doing what I described, I suggest you try my solution. If it doesn't work, then try something else.

Quote Originally Posted by tescott View Post
    I don't think its your knees going too far forward either. I think the late forward travel is because they aren't forward enough to begin with. Since I have had a very similar squat to you, and I helped it by doing what I described, I suggest you try my solution. If it doesn't work, then try something else.
    I'll definitely keep it in mind for next time. I didn't notice until now that I'm breaking very early with my hips. Here's another set, which is also too damned high:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzHVpWMb6uI

Why are you not letting your knees travel forward more? Your shins are nearly vertical, looks weird.

Also, the weight doesn't seem that hard for you.

Are you really doing a low bar squat? I'm only asking because of your knee position. If they were to travel more forward your angles would be different in oder to maintain balance, your back would be more upright, which makes me wonder about your bar position.

Quote Originally Posted by Force Production View Post
    Why are you not letting your knees travel forward more? Your shins are nearly vertical, looks weird.

Also, the weight doesn't seem that hard for you.

Are you really doing a low bar squat? I'm only asking because of your knee position. If they were to travel more forward your angles would be different in oder to maintain balance, your back would be more upright, which makes me wonder about your bar position.
    Probably because I'm breaking at the hips so early, and by letting the knees go forward, I'd lose some tension in the hammies.

And they're low bar, but I've got some pretty long femurs which give me a more forward lean. I think I need to try pointing my toes out a bit more next lift to get my femurs out of the way.

starting strength coach development program
    Your femurs don't look long to me, more short than long.

Mm, WL shoes should help a lot. Upload a vid of those squats when you can.

I still think you should try to change your technique once you have new shoes (knees more forward, hips a bit lower).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast