starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training Chin/Pull Ups

Default Training Chin/Pull Ups

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    After progressing through my first month of SS, today I decided to throw in chin-ups at the end of the workout. The result was an embarassment- I could not knock out more than 5 dead-hangs! For some reason this stikes me as even weaker than my 150 lb bench press.

If anyone has experience dramatically improving chins, what method did you use to train them? Just try to knock out an extra dead hang each trip to the gym, or use weighted assistance to do 15-20 reps and decrease the assist each workout? Also interested in hearing the optimal number of sets.

My goal is 20 dead hangs, and I would like to hit this in the next year. Doable?

One method that I like is to have a set amount of reps you want to get in your workout and take as many sets as needed to get them. As you keep doing this the number of sets will decrease. I would say shoot for 50 reps total for now in your workout.

As arguably the biggest chinfag in this forum, I will offer my $.02...

If 5 reps is currently your 5 rep max, I could see one of two options working for you at this point...

1) Simply try to add reps over time until you're capable of ~8-10 honest to god chins, at which point you can use a 3 sets of 5 across pattern like you do everything else.

2) Use triples across. Noob or not, this will still work pretty well, I've taken people from triples across to sets of 8 using this method.

Either way, I think a base of 5's in chins works at least as well as anything, so whatever gets you to the point where you can comfortably do 3 sets of 5 across, and then start adding weight from there, will be the path of wisdom.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by blowdpanis View Post

2) Use triples across. Noob or not, this will still work pretty well, I've taken people from triples across to sets of 8 using this method.
    I never even considered this. I too am a "Fiver". I do 3 sets of 5 right now, but maybe 6 or 7 sets of 3 might work better. I'll try next wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by stronger View Post
    I never even considered this. I too am a "Fiver". I do 3 sets of 5 right now, but maybe 6 or 7 sets of 3 might work better. I'll try next wednesday
    That's a lot of 3's. Start simpler, maybe 3-5 sets of 3. As long as you still feel like you have a rep or two to spare on the last set, the weight is probably about right, so start adding weight cautiously via a weight belt (and remember a lot of weight belts themselves are 2.5 - 5 lbs) using a similar progression as anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by blowdpanis View Post
    That's a lot of 3's. Start simpler, maybe 3-5 sets of 3. As long as you still feel like you have a rep or two to spare on the last set, the weight is probably about right, so start adding weight cautiously via a weight belt (and remember a lot of weight belts themselves are 2.5 - 5 lbs) using a similar progression as anything else.
    some excellent suggestions. Thanks

One method that I like is to have a set amount of reps you want to get in your workout and take as many sets as needed to get them. As you keep doing this the number of sets will decrease. I would say shoot for 50 reps total for now in your workout.
    That's what I did. Once I could get 15 dead hang chins on my first set, I switched to 3x5 with weight.

All the suggestions above look good; you might also look at the Armstrong pullup program here: http://www.4mcd.usmc.mil/AOP/OSOHyat...%20Program.htm

It's designed for people trying to get up to 20 reps; I did it for a couple weeks before SS and put four reps on my max. Uses a combination of the methods people described above: max reps, sets of three, just a lot of variety. Not sure if it would fit your program in addition to your lifts, but it's something to look at.

For some reason, chins seem to be a bit different than other exersizes for gaining reps. The variety method does work, as virtually anything you do, as long as you are chinning a lot. I have a chinning bar in my house and would do ONE chinup every time I walked by, and that brought me up, in addition to 2x/wk chin sets.
    Pullups with a close grip not only widen the lats, but develop chinning strength too.

starting strength coach development program
    My vote would be for either Pavel's Fighter Pull-up program or simple ladders/pyramid work.

With a 5RM for pull ups, I would leave weighted pull ups alone for now. Do 1, then 2, then 3 and so on and partition as needed (if you are trying to get 5 but have to break it up as 3,1,1, that's fine). Rest as needed between.

A typical workout for me (23RM dead hangs) is 2,4,6,8,10,12,10,8,6,4,2 (if my math is correct, that's 72 pull ups in just a few minutes). I'll follow with some weighted pull ups, 35-45 lbs or so, sets of 3-5.

Just my .02, which is probably not worth much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast