starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evan's Almost SS

Default Evan's Almost SS

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been lifting regulartly for about 5 weeks. I called the program almost SS, because I'm not doing power cleans. I'm deployed with the airforce, and there are no bumber plates at the gym, and there isn't really enough room. I replaced them with chins, but being weak as hell, I'm using the gravitron. For some reason that's the only thing in the gym with commie metric weights.

Starting Lifts:

Squat-135lbs
    Bench-115lbs
    Press-60lbs
    Deadlift-145
    Pull ups- 2-1-1

Current Lifts:

Squat-200
    Bench-145
    Press-90
    Deadlift-205
    Pull ups-3x5 at -20kg

Squats and OH press are starting to get very tough. I started very low on bench so as not to stall, and it seems to have worked, since I feel fine on that. I've only been going up 10lbs per workout on deads, which is why it's so close to my squat, but I may start going up by more in the near future.

Next workout is tomorrow, and I can't wait!

nice progress on the lifts! how much are you adding per workout on OHP and squats?

I add 5lbs to every lift except deads. Last time I tried SS I started by going up 15 on squats, then went down to 10, but I pulled my groin when I got up to 185 or so. It was probably because I was lifting in the morning and not warming up enough, but I'm being careful about increases also, just to be on the safe side.

I think I'm really going to need smaller weights soon to keep progress comming on the OHP.

+1 on the smaller weights. I am still making press progress after 4.5 months of SS, but I had to start microloading pretty quickly. first at 2.5 # and now at 1.25 #. sounds small but it adds up over time. my press is 147.5 for 3x5 and is still progressing (though it's a freaking grind)

Good workout tonight.

Squats 205 3s 5r
    Bench 150 3s 5r
    Chins 4-3-3 at minus 20 kg

Everything felt heavy as hell, but I got all my reps. I've noticed my knees start trying to move inwards towards the end of my squat sets, and I'm trying to correct for that.

I'm disappointed I didn't get all my chins in, but a 5 kg jump is pretty big so I'm not too worried. in retrospect, I wish I had done more sets to get to 15 total reps though. was really feeling the last set in my chest. Anyone know a reason for that? I have palms facing away, and jsut over shoulder width apart for my grip. it didn't hurt or anything, I could just feel my chest tightening up.

also, geoff, what do you use for smaller plates? did you buy them somewhere or make 'em?

I can't wait for wednesday. bench and chins are downright relaxing compared to OHP and Deadlifts

I guess I should probably put some other stats up...

I'm 5'11", 200 lbs last I checked (but probably more now)

I eat like mad, but since I'm in the AF, and waist measure is part of our PT test, I try to do carb timing. I have no carbs except the ones in milk on non lifting days. I'm deployed right now, so eating a ton is not a problem.

I had a god aweful headache all day, but I'm pretty sure it improved my lifts today.

squat: 210 for 3x5. thought I was gonna puke after, but I got all my reps in.

OHP: 90 for 3x5. This was easy as hell.... shit, I just looked through my logs and found out I was supposed to do 95. either way, I'm pretty stoked though, since last time I barely eeked out my last couple reps, and this time it was a straight up breeze.

Deadlift: 225 for 1x5. this was a 20 lb jump and was still easy. I think I worked out some kinks that were holding me back on it before.

My head is still killing me, and I don't even care.

Quote Originally Posted by GdMisfits View Post

it's funny how endorphines from a good workout make everything ok. I've had a fever for the last 24hrs and feel like crud...thanks for the inspiration to get my work in tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by GdMisfits View Post
    I had a god aweful headache all day, but I'm pretty sure it improved my lifts today.

squat: 210 for 3x5. thought I was gonna puke after, but I got all my reps in.

This kind of dedication nearly brings a tear to my eye. Way to grind it out man.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks guys. Honestly, it'd be hard not to be dedicated when every time I go to the gym, I'm measurably stronger than I was the last time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast