starting strength gym

Thread: Difference between Strapped Deadlift and Alternate Grip Deadlift

Default Difference between Strapped Deadlift and Alternate Grip Deadlift

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm going from my college gym where I use straps when I deadlift (don't allow chalk, and liquid chalk just doesn't work with me) to my gym at home where I'll be deadlifting alternate grip with chalk.

Currently I'm on Starting Strength where I deadlift every other workout. On Wednesday I pulled 420 for 5 reps strapped (if it means anything, my squat is 330 3x5 and my power clean is 185 3x5 right now). The last time I deadlifted alternate grip at home I got 390 for 3 reps (again, if it means anything, at the time my squat was 320 3x5 and my power clean was 170 3x5).

I had been going up in 15 pound increments with the straps.

What should I attempt to deadlift alternate grip for 5 reps on Monday?
    Last edited by ScooterLibby; 12-19-2009 at 06:10 PM.

I would say try the same as last time (390?) and focus on doing it with perfectly controlled form.

Ive only been training a year, but have found the relation between grip and sucessful pulls to be highly neurological.

After I finally got starting strength recently, I noticed Rip also mentions that the back just plain refuses to allow what the hands cannot support.

And supporting weights with hands is a lot about being used to gripping hard. Your hands could be technically strong enough to hold the weight, but the unsureness due to lack of practice would be enough to screw up your grip and neurological connection to the rest of your body allowing the lift.

In short, Im saying do a warm up set. After this your ability to grip will be re-kindled and you can judge realistically how much more weight you can pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    I would say try the same as last time (390?) and focus on doing it with perfectly controlled form.

Ive only been training a year, but have found the relation between grip and sucessful pulls to be highly neurological.

After I finally got starting strength recently, I noticed Rip also mentions that the back just plain refuses to allow what the hands cannot support.
    I've got a recent anecdote that would suggest the same.

I was working outside in the cold with a pair of branch cutters, and I created a nice blister that later cracked right in the crease of one of my fingers. Now, I will put up with a lot of pain and annoyance when training. I'll push through until I can't push through no more. But the hand started to hurt so bad during my deadlifts that no matter how hard I tried to grip the bar with both hands, and no matter how hard I kept gritting my teeth and ignoring the pain, the side of the barbell that corresponded to the cracked/bleeding hand, kept coming up slower than the other side, resulting in a lopsided deadlift.

And get this: even though it was the right hand that was injured, both hands kept wanting to let go near the end of my warmup sets, which involved loads that normally wouldn't have been a problem for me. Go figure.

-Stacey

Why are you deadlifting every other day?

Quote Originally Posted by poopmonkey View Post
    Why are you deadlifting every other day?

Meant to say every other workout, my bad