starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coveting Master Novice Weakling Squat Form Check

Default Coveting Master Novice Weakling Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Well I now know what it means to covet. AC and crew at 70s big and Gary and others here make it look so easy, plus they are so freaking strong.

I've been working on form for 6 months. Hopefully this isnt 15 poor examples of squatting. Please forgive the excitiment at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q27IKYvcFtY

Your knees are sliding forward at the bottom. The second set looks better, but try putting your knees forward during the first part of the descent

you're a tad high, but otherwise I think that's a pretty good squat.

guys?

Good work, drecar, and welcome.

After your first set, you were squatting too shallow. Need at least another inch to satisfy depth.

Work on getting the knees forward sooner. During the 1st one third of the movement, get your knees to their forward-most point and keep 'em there through the remainder of the rep. This will have your hips and knees breaking at the same time.

Now, you're not getting any "bounce" out of the bottom because of how slow your descent is. This is going to take some practice, but you're going to have to drop more quickly to take advantage of the stretch reflex--maybe over the course of a 2-count. Getting more depth will help with this as well.

Kudos on your lifting. It's obvious you've been working hard.

-Stacey

Quote Originally Posted by drecar View Post
    Please forgive the excitiment at the end.
    You EARNED the right to be excited. I'll leave comments on your form to the more experienced members of this forum, but I will say this - there ain't a guy at either of the 2 gyms where I go that even comes close to the depth that you are squatting (except for me, of course ). And, to be perfectly honest, I probably cheat a bit on depth as I get tired.

Anyway, keep up the good work. And if you think that was fun, wait until you start the Texas Method program and have to do that for 5 sets. The 1st time I did 5x5 across I got down on my knees and thanked Jesus and I'm an agnostic!

You mention "master" in your title. How old are you? I'm always happy to see older guys on this forum (I'll be 58 in 6 weeks).

Quote Originally Posted by El Viejo View Post
    You EARNED the right to be excited. I'll leave comments on your form to the more experienced members of this forum, but I will say this - there ain't a guy at either of the 2 gyms where I go that even comes close to the depth that you are squatting...
    Here, here!

And keep working at it, you'll get it, drecar.

Thanks for the encouragement. I am committed to getting as strong as I can. The damn squat form has been difficult to get correct. I am not too keen on increasing the decents speed but I will try that. Knee position I am trying to find. Perhaps when my shoes arrive they will correct my issues. I am still open to more critique and suggestions for fine tuning.

Aside from getting the knees more forward initially, it almost looks to me like you're too on your heels/bent over, i.e. your knees barely move forward at all, with almost all of the motion happening at the hips.

Try an experiment for me. The next time you squat, as you warm up (say with an empty bar), try simply keeping the weight evenly distributed on your feet with the bar on your back, going all the way down, without thinking of sitting back or anything else, just "even" weight distribution on your feet. See how far forward your knees are in this position. This should represent a pretty good balance between knees forward enough, and sitting back enough, because you need quads to help you out, even in a low bar squat.

It's also possible your femurs are just very long relative to your torso, but it seems to me like your knee position could be more forward in general.

Your form is almost identical to mine, except the depth on my squats is shittier. Since we've both got weightlifting shoes coming, it'll be interesting to see if our form mirrors. Post another video once you get the shoes - I've got one coming Monday.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by blowdpanis View Post
    Aside from getting the knees more forward initially, it almost looks to me like you're too on your heels/bent over, i.e. your knees barely move forward at all, with almost all of the motion happening at the hips.

Try an experiment for me. The next time you squat, as you warm up (say with an empty bar), try simply keeping the weight evenly distributed on your feet with the bar on your back, going all the way down, without thinking of sitting back or anything else, just "even" weight distribution on your feet. See how far forward your knees are in this position. This should represent a pretty good balance between knees forward enough, and sitting back enough, because you need quads to help you out, even in a low bar squat.

It's also possible your femurs are just very long relative to your torso, but it seems to me like your knee position could be more forward in general.
    Agreed. A slight heel would help facilitate this. There may be an article addressing this coming soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast