starting strength gym

Thread: Bad knee and squats

Default Bad knee and squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My orthopedic examined my MRI results and determined that my left knee is that of a 60 yr old, as a lot of cartilage is gone. I'm 38 and have been squatting since high school and feel it's not really trainning unless you have squats in your routine. My other knee is good and I was lookin for advice. My knee feels ok now but have spells with it every now and then. I just hate to give up squatting.

Could you post a video of your form? That's the only way we'll really be able to tell if something wrong with your squats is causing it.

My squat form is impeccable. Rip taught me 19 yrs ago. Squats didn't ruin my knee, I think running may have attributed and and yrs of abuse by athletic abandon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
    My squat form is impeccable. Rip taught me 19 yrs ago. Squats didn't ruin my knee, I think running may have attributed and and yrs of abuse by athletic abandon.

I'll tell you what I tell my trainees all the time: if it doesn't hurt to squat, or--assuming mild joint discomfort now and then--regular squatting doesn't negatively impact your other daily activities, and you're at a point where you need to get stronger, then keep squatting; if a day comes when you have to have that knee replaced or worked on, you'll appreciate the strength you built in your younger days, and how much faster you'll have rebounded from the surgery than your weaker counterparts.

-Stacey

P.S. Just because you squatted well years ago, doesn't mean you squat well now. "Form drift" happens even to the best of us. Get a vid up if you can.