starting strength gym

Thread: power clean form check

Default power clean form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haBoHN6RnSQ

lemme know what you think. nitpickery, however, is not welcome.

When you hit that jump position right there on your thigh, really jump. Hard. Then just as aggressively and quickly stomp you're feet down on the floor.

Once you've caught the bar in the rack position, you hips and shoulder should line up like this, the picture on the right not the left: http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/PPIssues1.jpg

-Stacey

A power clean needs to be fast - a good deal faster than what you are doing. The speed of your first pull (from the ground to above the knee) is fine. However, when you get to the mid-thigh you slow down, probably because you are thinking too much about touching the mid-thigh. As a result the rest of the clean suffers.

Like Stacey said, you must very aggressively jump with the barbell. Don't worry about pulling on the bar with your arms when it is in the jumping position. Keep the arms straight and get that barbell moving as fast as you can by jumping. You should lightly brush the bar by your mid-thigh instead of almost stopping there. You should attempt to explode as soon as you feel the brush of that bar. Once the barbell is moving moving, slam those elbows forward and up as quickly as you can.

The angle isn't quite right to see this, but I'm wondering about your set up and if your back is in as much extension as it should be.

I would thoroughly recommend trying out hang cleans for some time while you figure this out.

You are simply carrying/heaving the bar onto your shoulders slowly. While this shows you are a naturally strong person (no way I could do that) it is far off from a power clean.

As other have already said, the core of a power clean is exploding into a jump when the bar is on the 'sweet spot' somewhere around mid thigh. Your arms should be hanging straight down holding the bar with a hook grip.

This short fast explosion (jump) will tug the bar upwards. At this point imagine that if you let go of the bar it should still carry on going upwards to about shoulder height. Thats what your aiming for, to make the bar shoot upwards without any 'pulling' from arm muscles. Your arms are merely like ropes connecting your torso to the bar. The fact you hands are hooked to the barbell as it shoots upwards will cause the bar to pretty much automaticall rack onto your shoulders.

starting strength coach development program
    Since I seem to have the pull off the floor ok, I think Dastardly's advice on hang cleans are a good route to follow. I will try some the next work out and repost here. Thanks for the advice.